+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newfoundlands Great Northern Pen.

Default Newfoundlands Great Northern Pen.

Hi all,
    This summer me and my father are planning a trip to the northern peninsula to do some salmon and trout fishing. It would be extremly nice if someone could recomend some good flies of trout or salmon so that i can tie them up and be prepared for the trip. Any help would be very helpfull, thanks.

Fisher998

----<><---><>'-------

Salmon - moose winged, blue charms, thunder and lightnings, black silver tips, cosseboom, green highlander, and undertakers, all with moose wings.

butterflies(no moose, white calf wings)
    bugs and bombers as well.

I'd recommend getting in touch with someone from [url=http://www.saen.org/:72d1e]http://www.saen.org/[/url:72d1e] someone here, should be able to help with a salmon fly list.

For trout, caddis, bugs, muddlers, ah heck just about anything for trout.

later
    Mike

[This message has been edited by Newfoundlander (edited 27 March 2006).]

Hi:For salmon I'd go with Blue Charm,Undertaker,Cosseboom,Thunder and Lightning,Black Silvertip and any other standard patterns.Orange,and fluor green are especially good colours to use in your flies.Sizes 6,8,10 and 12 would be useful.For trout I'd add Humpies and Stimulators and some Wulffs,sizes 10 and smaller.A few of us will be there the second week of July to try the Torrent,River of Ponds,Portland Creek etc.Maybe we'll see you there then.

------------------

Hi,
    Thats were me and dad were planing to go to portland creek and river of ponds for about a week or so, and mabey dad will hook his first salmon.

Hi,
    Over 25 years ago my family went to River of Ponds and I recall hooking up on two casts in a row using a Royal Coachman wetfly. Unfortunately, both flies came off when the knot pulled loose. To this day I still won't allow my Dad to tie the flies on to the line!

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Hi,
    Same here my father used to tie on my flies for me until he tied on a fly for me one day and i lost a very big trout now he doesn't tie flies on to my line for me anymore.

fisher998
    ----<><---><>'---

Hi
    In addition to the good salmon flies mentioned, be sure to have something silver as well. Silver Blue, Mar Lodge and Silver Doctor are all good.

John

Hi,
    I got to thinking about that Nfld trip again. I went with a friend and his father and grandfather one year to River of Ponds and stayed at the Lundregin's camp (I'm sure I've spelled their name incorrectly, but that's sort of how I remember it being pronounced; short e, hard g). Anyway, I caught my first Atlantic "salmon" ; ok, it was only a 3.5 lbs grilse, but for a wee boy like I was, used to catching brookies on a cut piece of alder bush, well that was a big fish! During that trip I recall fishing with a dry fly that my friend's grandfather gave me. I caught a trout on every other cast for about 6 minutes; literally, every 2nd cast I hooked another small trout until I caught about half a dozon or so (all put back, they were small). Then, on the "catch one now" cast, I suddenly came up empty after the strike. Tried again, and still, nothing. Checked the fly, and I had busted off the hook at the bend! I remember studying the fly so as I could tell my brother about it (he tied flies at the time). What I recalled, and have recently tied up myself, was just a simple brown dry spider fly; brown thread body (short and "to the point"), no tail, and brown hackle, probably size 10.

Anyway, for salmon, I think Blue Charm and Black Bear Green Butt were two of the more popular patterns. I've been using a Cosseboom (tied on size 10 2x hooks) here in New Zealand for large rainbows, and they seem to work well.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

+ Reply to Thread