paff:

All very good questions and each is a lengthy response in itself. Since I am not the best or fastest typist, I will take a shot at your first question. However, I suggest you check the Beginning Tying section here at FAOL for information on your questions.

I have found that not all dubbing is created equal when it comes to sticking to the thread. First, you must only twist the dubbing in only one direction to entangle it onto the thread. It does not matter which direction you select, but only twist the dubbing in that one direction. If you twist in two directions, you wrap and then unwrap in one cycle. Second, pull the dubbing from its ball so the strands are extended and as long as possible, not in a ball. Third, apply small amounts of dubbing to a length of thread. It is better to apply a thin layer of dubbing on a longer length of thread than to try a pile a lot of dubbing on a short length of thread. First it is easier to get it to stick with smaller amounts and it gives you greater control in forming a tapered body on the hook shank. Some dubbing is short strands and it is difficult to get it to wrap around the thread. When all else fails, use small amounts of dubbing wax either applied to the thread or your fingers. I like the thread application better as my fingers don't get sticky.

I hope this helps.

Dr Bob