I'll recommend the Pentax Optio WR and the new WP if you want a camera to take on the water, or in the rain & snow and to use for close-ups of flies and fish.

Otherwise, the Kodaks are hard to beat. We buy Kodaks for family pictures and we get them at Costco. Costco always discounts and also always adds accessories to the standard cameras. You can take stuff back if it breaks...

The Kodaks are by far the easiest to "plug and Play". You get a dock that plugs into your PC. Plug the cam into the dock and it charges the batteries. Take it off the dock and snap a few pics. Plug it back onto the dock and push the image transfer button and your photos are on the screen ready to view in a nice slide show. Could not be easier.

We have Pentax, and Kodaks and like both really.

If I had the bux, I'd get digi-Cannons; especially if you already have SLR lenses that will already fit them.

Lots of good cameras in this day and age. Just go for all the megapixels you can afford. More is definately better. I have a 6.2 and could use a 8 or better for what I like to do. Get a minimum of 4 MP. Why? If you get a nice wide shot and want to crop it down to remove the unwanted parts of the image, if the MegaPixels (resoloution) of your camera is only 2 or 3.5 MP then the cropped picture will be all grainy and pretty worthless.

I like the Sony images taken by Jim Bolden. He has a great camera too and paid a penny or two for it.

I took this with a Kodak:

Rich