i use the Pentax Optio S5i, and heres why:

1-size. its smaller than a pack of cigarrettes, so it easily slides into a front pocket when walking around without any unnecessary bulk or heaviness.

2-5.0 megapixels=fantastic clarity and quality of prints

3-macro and super-macro modes allow up-close photography such as is needed with flies.

4-7x zoom, when including the digital zoom.

5-cost. i got the camera and a 128mb memory card, which, with the built in 8mb allows me to take 200+ pictures at highest quality before needing to erase any, for around $350 delivered. the memory card was around $30, i think, but i dont remember for sure.

the optio line also has a higher end camera with all the same features, plus a waterproof outer shell, allowing underwater photography, and for the occasional "dunking" it may take during your fishing adventures. i just carry a watertight, rolldown-type drybag.

i am extremely satisfied with my choice. this was also my first digital camera purchase, so i am pleased with the research i did beforehand. i took the above considerations into account before any other considerations, and found the Optio to best suit my needs. not only does it exceed my expectations in the above criteria, it also holds its own in added bonuses such as video and sound recording, view screen, and included software. never did the name brand effect my choice.

for the record, i am in no way affiliated with pentax. i am just very satisfied with my purchase.