+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you collect fellow tyers flies?

Hi Mantis,

The answer is yes. But my collection has come my way somewhat differently than most. As I have collected flies from my Internet friends, as well as my face-to-face buddies, to photograph and post on my Web site, I have put them in little "sliding top" jewelry boxes I bought online for cheap. I use a sharpie to label each box with fly name, tier name and address. I am glad I have saved all the received flies, because I hope to embark on a winter project of re-photographing the flies I photoed early in the process. And, as you may recall from the Marlboro show a couple of years ago, I have one of your ladybugs!

Will we see you at the Marlboro show this year?

Hope all is well with you.

Peter F.

------------------
    Peter F
    www.fishingwithflies.com
    pfrailey@hotmail.com

A sort of yes...

This year my two main fishing buddies and I started a tradition where we each tie a fly of a particular type; (wet, dry, nymph, streamer, etc.), which is determined before the first group trip of the year.

This year's type was a "classic" streamer. Each member of the group picks their own pattern and has to tie 6 of that fly. That leaves one fly for each member to keep and one fly for each member to fish with the idea of the keeper flies to be shadow boxes that will be exchanged at a later date as Christmas gifts.

We use the fishing flies in a one hour "tournament" to see if the things are capable of catching fish. The winner gets a cast iron frying pan, (former anchor), as a trophy to keep till next year's winner is crowned.

It's a lot of fun and will definitely help all of our tying skills.

I have quite a large collection of patterns from both swaps that I have been in as well as hosted. I also have some signed patterns by some famous tyers !!!!!
    I'm hopeing to set up some type of file/catalogue system at this point !!!!!

I think I have every single fly that I have ever received in a fly swap. Most are in their original mailing packages. Perhaps one day I'll sit down and organize them all in some way.

- Gary

------------------
    "Catch 'em all ~ Put 'em back!"

Visit my [url=http://warmwaterangler.blogspot.com:e7f39]Blog[/url:e7f39].

I have a selection of card mounted flies by Allan Podell that I swapped with him for some of my own poor specimens.
    I also keep any swap flies that are mounted on cards as collectable flies. Most of the others get copied and fished.

Yes Peter F. ...See you there. I'll email you...

+ Reply to Thread