Bob,

You ask an interesting question, one that I too would like to see what other peoples thoughts are on the matter.

I recently inventoried my hooks as I was restocking some models and sizes in my arsenal. I found that #14-18 in dries and 10-14 in nymphs are the ones I tie on most frequently.

I have on hand a rather limited amount of materials as compared to most persons who visit and contribute to this BB.

I'm either getting cranky in my old age or I'm becoming more and more aware of the patterns that seem to work effectively the majority of the time for the rivers that I fish and concentrate my efforts on reproducing those flies.

I think it was Dave Hughes who in his Essential Trout Flies book recommended essentially what you are talking about.

Joe Humphrey's in his book Trout Tactics gives the impression that he too ties on a limited range of hooks. I've adopted this sort of thinking myself of late although I don't read mention of skipping sizes of the hooks one ties their flies on.

I've heard some anglers say that having a size larger than the fly on the water gets your flies noticed at times. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I don't honestly know at this point.

By the same token, you have to wonder if when fish get locked in on a prolific hatch of Baetis (Blue-winged Olives) if it isn't more important to have a fly that is on the mark in terms of size.

I'm sure the only way you or I will know for fact is to test the theory over the course of the next year's fishing season!

Good luck in whichever direction you decide to go!