RkyMtnGuy,

On pp. 10-12 in "The Fly-Tyer's Almanac" by Robert H. Boyle and Dave Whitlock, there are black and white, step-by-step instructions for Double-Wing Sidewinder (that is, No Hackle Dun) by Rene Harrop. However, it does not seem to be detailed enough.

Concerning a Japanese Video you mentioned, in that video, "A Letter From Henry's Fork Vol. 2," Rene demonstrates how to tie PMD No Hackle Dun (#16) along with his other mayfly and caddisfly patterns like Henry's Fork Caddis, Trusty Rusty Paraspinner, PMD CDC Last Chance Cripple, Flav CDC Biot Dun, and New CDC Thorax Dun. Actually, Rene ties three of them including No Hackle while his family (The House of Harrop) ties the others.

It is a really fabulous video. While there is additional Japanese narration when Rene is tying, the basic format of the video is that Rene narrates in English while Japanese caption shows up, so you will have no problem with enjoying it even if you know nothing about Japanese. You can just listen to Rene's own narration. Also, the video shows Rene's less frequently published innovative patterns.

But, because I have almost all the Mike Lawson and Rene Harrop's vidoes and book chapters available, I can say that Mike Lawson's instructions are far clearer especially for tying duck quill wings the way Rene and Mike do. Their technique is basically identical. However, If you may still want to have Rene's japanese video, I strongly recommend it.

[This message has been edited by adso4 (edited 29 August 2005).]