+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buying capes (or not)

Default Buying capes (or not)

Hi all, I was wondering if someone could help me out with information on buying hackle for smaller dry fly patterns. Prices over here in Japan for capes are crazy so I am looking to buy something online. My question is, what is best to buy? I am interested in tying smaller dry patterns from about #16 to #20/#22. I have seen some full capes and feather packs (both from Whiting Farms) but I don' know which way to go. Could someone out there please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Plasticsushi

I don't know what the customs laws and regulation are in Japan for bringing feathers (animal parts) into the country so if you havn't checked you probably want to do that first.

You could e-mail Denny at Conranch Hackle.
    [url=http://www.conranch.com:ddc43]http://www.conranch.com[/url:ddc43]

Tell him the sizes and percentage of the sizes you would like froma cape. Also the color you need. He will give you good advice and if you do buy from him you will get top quality product and service.

Good luck in your quest.

------------------
    Joe

You could get 100's packs, its long saddle feathers that can tie about 100 flies. For that size whiting does have saddles that have those sizes but I am a cape fan. As for the right direction, well everyone have mixed feelings on everything. This covers everything from brand to type of necks. Get some and try them out. 1/2 necks are great for this, lets to buy a sample of a bunch of thing with out breaking the bank.

Plasticsushi,
    Like the handle,and welcome.
    Do you plan on tying anything of larger size ?
    Do you want the advantage of good hard tailing feather's ?("Spades"found on the outter side edges on capes).
    If yes to either of these,then I'd say capes would be the most economical...

The "packs" of presized hackle give you just that.Hackle,but if all you plan on tying is small flies..it may be best to buy the sized stuff and some "Spade Hackle" separately...
    Cabela's has good quality capes for $20.00 US ,each,they are a whiting product and a good value,In my opinion...Hope this gives you some idea's...Good luck in your tying.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Jim Slattery Guest

plasticsushi,
    Sounds Like Just about any Good genetic hackle will work for you , What colors are you looking for?
    Each hackle company produces some colors that the others don't.
    I think if you are looking for a specific color this might help you in finding which brand to buy.
    A lot of people swear by Whiting Farms products. Their Hackle is as good as it gets.
    Whiting offers the widest variety of feathers, and the quality is hard to beat.
    A LOT of people swear by Conranch, I have heard GREAT things about their service and hackle, all reports indicate that it is top notch. I have VERY limited experience with the product.
    Metz, Collins, Keough, Spencer are other growers that offer great genetic hackle. There are others.
    Hope this helps,
    Jim

------------------
    [url=http://www.Jimsflyco.com:28f5d]www.Jimsflyco.com[/url:28f5d]

Thanks for all the great information everyone. I have been reading on the boards here for a while and it never ceases to amaze me the quality and unbiased advice everyone seems to give (a lot of other BBs could learn a lot I think!). As for some of the questions. I am still researching the customs information to make sure that my purchases dont end up in the incinerator at the Airport. I am mainly interested in tying smaller sizes, I am fishing for smaller fish, native Yamame and Char in small mountain streams which tend to take #16 and smaller over here. Color wise I think a brown and probably a dun would see me straight. Im still a FF newbie and tying is my way of staying sane while Im waiting for the weekend. Any tips on the best beginner colors would be equally appreciated. Thanks a lot for your replies guys. I look forward to reading (and hopefully contributing) more.

Plasticsushi

As a begginer as well I started out with brown and grizzly. What I would suggest is study the fish your going after as well as the local flies/bugs. This will help you narrow down what to purchase, whats the use of a color if it cant be used. This is what I tried to do and it work fairly well. Good luck!

8. Default

Hey Plasticsushi, good advice from tye, I would minimally want dun, brown, and grizzly. Another good resource for me has been Lines End COOP. They divide a bunch of necks and you can get several colors for a good price. Conranch quality is outstanding however and the customer service is great. Smaller sizes 20+ usually are a cape rather than a saddle.

------------------

plasticsushi,

Welcome aboard!

I recently bought 2 JV Hens from Conranch Hackle. His hen hackles are top tier. The buying experience was termendous as well. You deal directly with the owner. Denny is an extremely knowlegeable and a real nice guy. Be sure to email him or Liz. They will gladly answer your questions.

Whiting also produces top tier hackles, but I have not gotten the same personal attention as I have with Denny.

[This message has been edited by TyroneFly (edited 15 July 2005).]
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

You might have a quick look at these. Just follow the link...
    [url=http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431&id=0011691316303a& navCount=4&podId=00:6bbd2]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431&id=0011691316303a& navCount=4&podId=00[/url:6bbd2] 11691&parentId=cat20542&navAction=push&catalogCode =IF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20542&hasJS=t rue

+ Reply to Thread