+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiting Cree- how to get?

Wow, I guess I was lucky to stumble across one a few years ago. Not to rub it in or anything...

jwest, I might know of a source. I'll check tomorrow and send you an e-mail.

one?

I've got three.
    one whiting gold, one silver, and a small one sent to me be roy christie.

they are beautiful and I feel very fortunate to stumble across them at my local shop. they had a bronze hanging off the wall for about six months before it disappeared.

while the argument may never end as to whether or not whiting cree is authentic, I haven't seen any feathers that even come close to the colration on these capes.

good luck in your quest.

mgj

mikeytwoshoe's post got me to thinking... a dangerous thing I may add, but how many here hoard feathers. I mean, I know that Cree is special and I have a few, but I use them. I use them at shows and for orders and for my boxes, all of which are empty I should add, but that?s another thread.
    Is this disease (tying) such that the real thrill is in acquiring hard to get stuff and just being "secure" in knowing you have them or, is it in using the "good stuff" for every day tying? I guess I'm asking why and for what are we saving the ?good stuff??

------------------
    harry mason
    [url=http://www.troutflies.com:8deb4]http://www.troutflies.com[/url:8deb4]
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

Excellent point bones! I use my grandmothers cream china from Europe every day...and the good silver too. The same holds true for whatever we have. I'm not 'saving' it for my kids who probably couldn't care less, or for some 'estate sale'. Enjoy it, it is yours!

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Bones-There is comfort in the knowledge that you have the required materials for fly tying. Personally, I will use anything that I have aquired if the fly calls for it. Furthermore, I am prone to use Cree as a substitute for grizzly because it looks as good or better and hopefully the fishes agree. Case in point-I am in a Salt Water Surf Fly Swap and will tie 24 identical bugs: all having a wing made of a matched pair of cree Hackles.

I like LadyFisher's attitude towards to good stuff

flymaker2 I like using the good stuff much more now days, but? there was a time when I felt a tinge of guilt, I guess, thinking ; Why I am I using this outstanding neck on an Adams? Why am I ?wasting? this? After all, I waited and saved and God knows what else to get it. But then, add a few years, a tussle with the big C and you come upon the realization that, over time, even the best Boudreaux? turns to vinegar...
    I came to understand that you must enjoy the wine today because you can always look forward to the vinegar.

------------------
    harry mason
    [url=http://www.troutflies.com:9f414]http://www.troutflies.com[/url:9f414]
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

harry,

I most certainly am not hording my feathers.
    I've used the silver neck on countless swap flies, most of my dry flies are hackled (as appropriate) w/ cree feathers from the gold cape. the neck I got from roy I use for feather winged streamers.

I bought the whiting necks because the opportunity presented itself and I could afford them. the third was a pleasant surprise I found in my mailbox one day.

I cannot rationalize buying supplies that I don't use.

mgj

mikeytwoshoes, I'm sorry, I was not trying to make it sound like you or anyone else was/is hoarding. I was just rambling about the having vs. the using... having three Crees is hardly a sin and if you use them, not nearly enough
    I guess I was reflecting on all the stuff I have collected over the years and was wondering aloud: how come? why for?

------------------
    harry mason
    [url=http://www.troutflies.com:1b89d]http://www.troutflies.com[/url:1b89d]
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

I agree with bones,you have this stuff to use,so use it.If your a collector of rare materials,thats ok too but I have no problem using cree,bustard,swan whatever,thats what I have it for. John

The Whiting is far from 2nd rate and there are other fine suppliers around. 2 suggestions would be to try and find a bronze cape. It is the same quality, just going to tye less flies than silver or gold. That's Whiting's grading. If you just want to tie dries in the 16-24 range, go with a Whiting saddle in cree. The bronze will last you about 1500-2000 flies. If not, you can try Denny Conrad as well. He as much an expert as I've ever seen and has taught me more than I deserve to know about hackle breeding.

+ Reply to Thread