paflyfisher16- I had the priviledge of watching and tying with several of the old Catskill tiers and "Yes" you are right they all tied flies just a little differently. No two tied exactly the same. I bet if Marry Dette were asked she would say that she does things just a little differently than her Mother or Father did. It is just human nature to do thing the way it best suits a person.

While I was taught one way I have found that I can get it done just as well and faster another way. Nothing wrong with that as long as the over all fly is well tied and is balanced well.

One other thing is that I do not think any of the old tiers would ever mind if you copied there style of tying. The ones that I met were not that way and were happy to show people how to tie somting if they had the time. So if you want to leave a little room at the head of the fly do so. I do it. It was the way I was taught and I think it looks better. But we are all different and some like a head of thread. Do as you please because there is one thing that you have to remember "You are the only person you have to please" So do it the way it looks and works the best for you. Ron