+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Larva Lace

Default Larva Lace

The past few nights I have been trying to follow along with A.C.'s instructions to tie the midge larve and have run into a problem. Everything goes fine until it is time to tie off the larva lace after making my body. I can't seem to get a good tie off. Is there any sort of secret? Is there a product that is easier to work with? Right now I have been trying to use midge size larva lace from Cabela's. Thanks for any help/suggestions you can provide.

BlueHen - I basically take three or four wraps of my tying thread, around the larva lace to hold it in place. I then stretch the larva lace and cut it at the tie off point. I may add an additional couple of thread wraps to cover the end. I then dub the thorax and finish the fly. The thorax will cover up any sort of humps, etc at the tie off point. Make sure you leave a little gap between the eye and the point where you plan to tie off the larva lace.

I also wrap the lace in the same direction as the thread. Sorry if you already know this.

flyangler-I honestly can admit that I know nothing of tying with Larva Lace. This was my first try with it, and I can see that I need to practice. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated no matter how "common knowledge" they might seem to you.

BlueHen-One more suggestion. When you tie off the larva lace, when you finish the last wrap, bull it towards you and take the thread in your other hand and wrap tightly 3-4 times over the stretched lace.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will let you know how I fare.

BlueHen....about all I can add is be sure to keep tension on the thread at all times. It's easy to loosen your wraps while cutting this type of material if you arent keeping the thread tight with the bobbin. It might seem like you need another hand but with a little practice, you'll find a way that suits you. Have fun...Jason

BlueHen, after you tie down 2-3 wraps on your larva lace make a couple of wraps on the hook to keep tension on the larva lace while you cut it. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread