+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aunt Lydia's Yarn

I have this yarn is several colors. I seperate the strands and then use the smaller strands to tye sucker spawn for steelhead. The yarn seems to give a little sparkle to the fly. I have also used the single strands in yellow to tie tellico nymphs.

Just my $.02
    Ben

Hi to all you can make wooly crawfish,rugbug,woolnymph,woolexplorer and red-eye wool muddler. In the March issue of 2005 of Fly Rod & Rell is a special section call Re-Discovering the woolfly. Hope this help.

Halomidge, Aunt Lydias Sparkle yarn is not antron. Antron is a type of nylon made by Dupont. Aunt Lydias is made from Kodel Polyester.The biggest difference between these two is that Antron is trilobal(the individual fibers are 3 or 4 sided not round)and Aunt Lydias is not. I see a lot of cataloges that say this is the right yarn for Lafontaine's Sparkle Pupa but it is not.It does not reflect light the same way Antron does. These are completely two different fibers. No harm intended. Later, Jim

While it may not be the exact stuff used on Sparkle Pupa patterns, it does work for them. It is a rug type yarn and resists matting and therefore will trap the air bubbles that cause refectance. It is great blended up for dubbing when a course dubbing is needed. I use it on thoraxes of large stoneflies. It is very buggy looking when picked out.

I use it for the wing on my Granny Bugs.

Also for the Sockeye Fry pattern that I still owe Rick Z. See Rick, I haven't forgotten.

- Gary

------------------

"Catch 'em all...Put some back!"

J - thanks for clarification ... Gary use to identify about 2-3 brands when he spoke about antron. Red heart (?) and I thought he mentioned Aunt Lydia's. But I stand corrected.

Aunt Lydia's yarn used to be an antron yarn but they changed it several years ago. I still have several partial skeins that are a yarn with clear antron in the mix.

+ Reply to Thread