+ Reply to Thread

Thread: May 18, 2024

Default May 18, 2024

Met up with a buddy in Arkansas to try to get Northern Snakehead added to my fly rod life list. He'd already gotten one on fly rod, and a few others on spinning gear.We fished from a canoe, and it was absolute mayhem in close quarters when a Snakehead would strike! Like Bowfin, you really have to get a good hookset, because the roof of their mouth is solid bone and the hook can easily get spit during the battle. We didn't lose any, but a few strikes were missed. The cool thing is that when the fish misses, you can toss right back to it, and it will almost always strike again until it eats the fly. I caught 4 on a Howitzer Head popper, using 20 lb fluoro tippet, and a 9wt fly rod.The biggest measured at least 25.5". They were all pretty good sized!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Not a bad looking and decent sized fish for another invasive species from Asia.Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBug View Post
    Not a bad looking and decent sized fish for another invasive species from Asia.Dennis.
    Just what we need, right? East coast fisheries biologists have been studying them for awhile in their waterways. For the most part, they say the presence of these fish has improved the rest of the fish populations. There's always exceptions, of course. For now, they are suggesting we call them "non-native" instead of "invasive". Invasive means there's a large negative ecological or ecomonic impact from a species. So far, it hasn't been the case. So, they are much like trout... non-native in many places we fish for them. Not putting down trout. I like catching them too.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread