+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dan craft's 1 wgt blanks

Default dan craft's 1 wgt blanks

Does anyone have any experience with this blank? He lists a 6'10" and a 7' blank. I'd like to build a 1 wgt and he has [as far as I can tell] one of the few reasonable blanks available. But I'm interested in a true one wgt - not a one wgt that casts a 2 wgt line. Any advise gratefully appreciated.

Donald

Look at the Common Cents data site [url=http://www.superbob.org/CC.htm:d0c7b]http://www.superbob.org/CC.htm[/url:d0c7b] . The 6'10" has a much lower ERN than the 7'.

A couple of months ago I built the 7' and have to say it is not a 1 or a 2wt. It is a great 3wt. I have had several good casters try it and everyone agrees it is a very nice 3wt. I have no idea on the other blank but a true 1wt plank is hard to find. A friend ordered a 2wt 6'6" blank from H&H and after building said it is one of the best 2wts he has casted. I will try one and let you know how it is.

Tks for responces.

mrp - Allow me a dumb question - just what does ERN mean? I mean, what does the number signify? Since the 6'10" has an ERN of 1.08 does that mean it's an actual 1 wgt rod?

Al - that is what I am trying to avoid in a one weight blank. I have a good 2 wgt - a Redington RS2 [now discontinued] 8' rod. I am just interested in pushing the envelope a bit further. I know Cabela's has a one wgt finished rod listed but a friend of mine has one of their 2 wgts [same series] and the rod isn't a 2; it's an easy 3 and may be a 4. He also bought one of the TFO 8' 2 wgt's and it's a nice rod.

Donald

The ERN is a measure of a rod's power. It is a measurement of the Common Cents System. A rating of 1.5 would indicate that the rod would load with 30' of one weight line. So, the low ERN tells you that the rod will load well with less than 30' of one weight line and make a good small stream, short casting, true one weight rod. However, it also tells you that if your average cast is going to be 30' or over, you may not find the blank to be as powerful as you want.

Tks again, mrp. That's basically what I thought it meant but I couldn't find any reference to the baseline number [ie: 1.5] in the piece on FAOL. I must have overlooked it. That's what happens when old folks like me try to read something late at night! <G>

That may work. I do a fair amount of "creek fishing" where you may catch 8-12" smallies one day and 2-3 # suckers the next! Never dull. Also, we have a large number of lakes in this area and they are heavily developed and have been for a long time. The builders - in the interest of creating more "lake properties" - have dug channels off the lake proper. Some of the older channels were constructed fairly deep and remain weed free. There are often really nice panfish feeding in them. Thirty foot casts would cover much of both situations.

Again, tks for your help. Now the job of convincing the other half that I REALLY need a 1 wgt....

Donald

+ Reply to Thread