Quote Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
I really like a Wulf long belly on my St Croix. Look at Dette's Flies, they have a big sale going on now.
In 2015 I fished Jurassic Lake in Argentina for monster rainbows. I did not fully appreciate wind until that trip, and I have repeatedly crossed the Gulf of Alaska in small boats!

We literally fished in 70mph winds! A downwind rollcast was awesome! You just had to constantly brace yourself against the wind at your back. There is no way you could cast into or across the wind. Anyway, among the many lines I brought were some long-belly SA lines in the Mastery Distance series. Never have I hated a line as much as trying to use a long-belly in the wind. Even two full line-weights heavy was nothing in the face of that wind. A short-bellied Chucker was awesome.

All of that said, my favorite casting is with underlined rods in the slow category to match a very lazy pace with small flies. But if you need to huck a fat fly you need a WF line and overlining it on the honest lines or using the stated weights on the cheaters works. What I find I have to do to fish light dries with them is to "cast high" and make sure the line hits the end above the water so it can drift down gently.

But enough about me...

A Rio Gold IMO is a good line for what you want, but I would go 5wt. That would bring you back to a line that would make dries cast close to what you want. It would also be an honest weight for casting big flies well. Being WF and dealing with a "less-than-blazing-fast" rod I think you would find it easier to cast with than just about anything going.

And of course the disclaimer is everyone casts differently and you might hate my idea either before or after trying it. Or both.

But I also think you might love it.

YMMV
art