building your own rod is not a complicated task at all. You can do it and do a great job with all of the information that is available from the great archives of this forum, and certainly from the many great people that make this forum what it is, they will all contribute to your success.
As far as graphite, or 'boo, let me offer this to you. I personally prefer building bamboo, there are many others that prefer building graphite. I love fishing boo as well, but I must admit that I love my graphites as well. what I would suggest you doing is attending a conclave somewhere so that you can try some of the great bamboo rods out to see if they are to your liking if you haven't already done so.
The nostalgia of fishing bamboo has captured the heart and wallet of many a fly fisherperson, only to discover that they are better suited to the speed and handeling of the graphites.
Now if you REALLY want to try something in between....give Harry Briscoe a call and get one of his Hexagraph blanks and give that a whirl. It will build like bamboo, it will fish like a graphite, and will give you many hours of pleasure in both building and fishing.