I've had the Hobie for 10 years. Never had it on moving water, just lakes and reservoirs. I hit a few rocks and trees that I didn't see. Even got high-centered and had to work pretty hard to get off the obstruction! I never sustained any damage to the Mirage Drive. Its pretty tough. Remember, you're probably usually only pedalling the kayak at 2 to 5 mph. Now...moving with current in a stream and hitting a rock might provide enough force to damage the drive. Just my own opinion, I don't think pedal drives of any kind are a good option for shallow streams. That's not to say they wouldn't work, just not the best option. Now, you could still buy a pedal yak, and just don't use the pedal drive when you visit the shallow streams...you can still use a paddle for these kayaks like you would a standard kayak.

That new retractable transducer mount will be nice for folks like you that have a sidescan fishfinder. I just have an old Lowrance color unit I use on my Hobie that works great...I installed the transducer inside the hull so it can't ever get damaged.

I have the sand color kayak, and as I mentioned, I have totally snuck up on fish. I really like the color....Its a nearly white spot on the water....if other boaters can't see you, they must be texting and driving. ;o) That being said...my 360 Angler is Camo colored.