iceman,

If my oftentimes foggy memory serves me correctly, the SB#55? s reel seat is all metal chrome plated brass with a down-locking screw lock (I think early versions may have had a slide band). If so,the metal reel seat was cemented to the rod via a wood spacer. To completely remove the seat and spacer requires that you heat the seat with enough heat to loosen the cement (a rosin-type cement akin to the old rosin ferrule cement). Slide the reel seat off then reheat the wood spacer and when it?s hot enough and the rosin is soft enough, it will slide off too. WEAR GLOVES TO DO THIS!!! Heat can be applied from a heat gun or the wife?s blow dryer but be sure the wife is out of the house before grabbing the dryer or flogging may ensue. If you?re careful, you shouldn?t damage the rod by applying the necessary heat?the reel seat area is the thickest part of the bamboo.

You can easily ream (level ream) out your choice of preformed cork grips and slide one on as a replacement (a 55 is not all that collectable). You can epoxy and slide a preformed grip from the back side by building up the rod in the area of the winding check with some nylon thread or cord to the appropriate thickness. If an exact match is what you must have, then you?re probably going to need to go the route of gluing, turning and sanding.

Good luck with your project!

Regards and WDE!!!
Bob L.

?The secret to enjoying your job is to have a hobby that's even worse. ?
--Robert Earl James