+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spoon fly

Default Spoon fly

Have watched various u tube on tying a spoon fly ranging from using a silly putty mold to cutting out the flutes from a 2 liter coke bottle. Also mylar tape. Anybody have any experience tying these for the salt. Used mainly for red fish.

I have made a few spoon flies for Texas redfish. I used a size 4 hook, bent the shank slightly to fit inside the curve of the spoon, and wrap the shank of the hook with thread. For the spoon, I used plastic fake fingernails that I bought in the "beauty" department of the local drug store. I used a small amount of super glue to attach the fingernail to the shank of the hook and then filled the zone around the shank of the hook in smoothly with epoxy to give it strength. When set, coat with gold glitter nail polish.

The Texas redfish loved them. Fishing from a boat in 3-4 ft of water, the fish would go several feet out of their way to get them.
    Have Fun,
    Ted

i have caught black drum and large mouth bass on them i used plastic mylar cut out body with uv resin over the top.

8wt,

my computer and or my abilities will not allow me to add a link to this response, but if you google ,"tying an epoxy spoon fly", this exact title will come up with a article that I used to tie spoon flies a number of years ago. it has links to patterns for shaping the hooks properly and cutting the spoon shapes out of mylar tape. ive used them for reds on the texas cost, they work.

good luck

Thanks for your responses. Will try some and see if they turn out ok.

My first red on a fly came using a Cave's wobbler.

Someone once gave me one of these in silver and pink

I tossed it out of my kayak, stripped out some line to cast, and as I raised the rod, a red grabbed it!
    Isaiah 41:10

Check out my Moppert's Matrix Spoons.

It was originally published in The FlyFisher in 2011 but was recently re-published in The Gulf Streamer, the newsletter of the Gulf Coast Council - Fly Fishers International: http://www.gulfcoastfff.org/uploads/...f_Streamer.pdf

This fly is a proven redfish killer... It's "flutter" action has repeatedly proven to be much more alloring to reds than "wobble" action of most spoons.

Try it for yourself.

Kyle

Matrix Spoons.jpg
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

You might want to look at some cheap artificial fingernails at the dollar store. Sometimes they have silver, gold and a few other colors added to them. The shape is about right to form a fly from them.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread