+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using PFD's

Default Using PFD's

Hi all,
    I am curious as to the opinions on PFD's. I use one - always! Now, I use one of the bulky ones and have seen the nifty smaller skinny ones that inflate when you hit the water. I'm thinking of getting one. What experiences with both are there out in the world? Is the extra comfort worth it?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Blog Entries

Mike,

Inflatable PFD's are great. I personally use a manual inflatable model since I have been known in the past to sort of baptize myself in certain waters. The Madison River comes to mind. The only drawback to a manual inflatable is if you are knocked out in your fall. That was a risk I was willing to take in my younger years, but now I am rethinking it since I do not have the degree of balance I used to have. A self inflatable PFD would be a safer choice.

They do make some more or less non-bulky vests used by skiers and people in watercraft that has a tendency to over turn a lot. I don't know if that is what you mean by 'you are now using a bulky PFD' or not, but they are also a good choice.

But, my preference is for the inflatables. They weigh next to nothing, won't overheat your body in a hot sun or heavy stretch of rowing. If you do buy one, buy a couple extra CO2 bottle kits and always carry an extra in your gear bag.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Hi Larry,
    Thanks. That is the type of information I am looking for. My current PFD is about 15 years old, saved my sorry butt in Maine, a story past told over cold beverages, but my NuCanoe is very stable. I just want piece of mind if I do go in. The self inflatable is what I am thinking about, hit the drink and you'r inflated. Now for more research.
    Mike

I have a manual inflatable PFD. Was wearing it twice when I ended up on the wrong side of the float tube, but did not inflate it either time. That said I remember it had to be inflated to work. Second time reached for the activation lanyard; did not find it right a way and went back to flailing and kicking. I did add a larger fob on the end of the lanyard to make it easier to find. The water safety guys only give you credit for it if you have it on. You can't leave it in the bottom of the boat like a conventional PFD. I had a friend whose wife bought him an automatic unit, he opened his garage door to find it inflated on day, the humidity got to the activation chemical.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I wear a manual PFD when tubing. Very light and doesn't interfere with casting.

I have two- the Simms/Stearns belt-type CO2 model for streams and pontoons (don't know if they're still made) and a BPS collar-type CO2 for boating. Both are manual. One thing I learned is that the CO2 cartridges aren't allowed to be installed during (air?) shipping; you have to open them up and screw the cartridge in before use. Finally found that out after 5 years of wearing mine. Felt a bit foolish, obviously.
    Another thing I learned was that some of the cheaper auto-inflating models can activate on a humid day, with age, or with just a splash of water. Read the reviews carefully and don't scrimp on costs.
    Personally, I'm ready for an auto, I think. For a few bucks more it makes sense at my age.

A buddy of mine wears NRS Chinook Fishing PFD. Below is a link you may find interesting.

https://www.nrs.com/category/2947/fishing/life-jackets
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread