+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Complex Twist Snot Goblin

Default Complex Twist Snot Goblin

A couple prototypes I tied up this morning. I'm not totally sure what to call them; they're a mash-up of a couple different patterns. I'm thinking Complex Twist Snot Goblin? Lead hook is a Gama B10S size 1, trailing hook is a (gasp!) Eagle Claw plain-shank size 2. Top one obviously is a Rainbow Trout imitation, the bottom one is a Shad/Skipjack Herring/General Baitfish imitation.

20170326ComplexTwistSnotGoblin.JPG

After seeing the name of this fly, I had to see what it looked like. Actually I think it is aptly named, but I'll be it catches fish.

Jim Smith

The original Snot Goblin has a body similar to a dubbed Wooly Bugger. Dubbing (probably Ice Dub) in a dubbing loop, wrapped around the shank, with Schlappen wrapped around the body. Zonker over the top. "Complex Twist" is something I've tried a couple times now, that the guys over at Fly Fish Food do for some of their flies. You tie in a Schlappen feather, Polar Chennile or similar, and a piece of Cactus Chenille / Estaz / etc. You then twist all three together, brushing it out to prevent trapped fiber. Then, wrap that around the shank.

The original Snot Goblin also has a beard of some kind of dubbing, but no "forehead". I've done a head of dubbing similar to what is done in a lot of big articulated streamers.

+ Reply to Thread