+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not that it matters a lot to fly anglers, but ...

Hybrid View

The Biz Ops folks always told me that an acquisition couldn't be profitable unless prices went up. If Cabelas is losing $$ every quarter for 3 years or something now, the only way you can justify buying them is to eventually increase the prices they charge. Probably higher at BPS too, since a major competitor will be gone.
    Marco - I too went to the Sydney store back about 1990. That was an experience for me. Think I spent over $300 that day, mostly in the Bargain Cave, like a kid in a candy store. BPS has never impressed me the same way somehow.

The Cabelas in Kalispell met a lot of resistance from locals because they were afraid it would hurt the valley flyshops/sporting goods stores. They needn't have worried - mediocre selection/indifferent to non-existent customer service. A BPS would look a bit out of place in NW Montana.
    Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

An employee at Cabelas last week told me that a directive had come down from on high that they HAD to reduce merchandise selection by 40% across the board. That didn't make sense then but it does now. They were my local source for Mustad hooks but that was one of the things that hit the chopping block

I hope the basic character of Cabeles remains with respect to the products they carry but I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes under both labels.

I have shopped both from catalog and later Internet. And I stop in the stores if I my travels take me near one , along with local fly shops

I have always thought Cabeles better served fly anglers in terms of product selection. And I thought Cabelas had better clothing - at least for me. I preferred Bass Pro selection for conventional saltwater gear and about even for conventional freshwater gear.

About an hour away, they just opened Cabela's about 6 months ago and Bass Pro Shops, about 15 minutes away from the Cabela's, has been open about 7 years. The BPS store is far bigger and while I'd hate to see the new Cabela's store close, the BPS is the better store, IMHO, of the two Richmond, VA stores. Now, my family and I were vacationing in Amish country last year and we took a detour to see the Cabela's near there (Hamburg, PA) and it put the Richmond BPS to shame, not that we'd go there often or even anytime soon, but I'd hate to see the Hamburg Cabela's store close.

It's not entirely a surprise, though. There was a rumor a couple of years ago (I think it was around the time they announced they were going to build the Richmond store) that BPS was going to buy Cabela's. But I agree that it removes the competition and is a disservice to the marketplace, IMHO.

Paul

+ Reply to Thread