Len,

That is why I always try to talk my guides into grabbing one of my rods and do some fishing. I don't mind it at all, it gives me a break to relax my hand and shoulder, I may learn something or a new technique from watching the guide cast and catch a few fish, and most importantly, they get to cast and catch some fish. I can't imaging being out on the river for months on end and never getting to do any fishing, just watch other people. Most of my guides will break down and do some fishing when they see I am serious about it. I did have one guide who said he 'never' fished when he was guiding. I had brought along a member of my club who was fairly new to fly fishing and having a hard time on a particular style of casting. I had asked the guide to pay particular attention to him and help him out whenever he could. One time he was demonstrating a cast and he hooked a fish. He tried to hand the rod to my friend, who refused it, then he tried to hand the rod to me and I refused it and I told him to just enjoy the moment and bring the fish in. I am sure he really didn't mind.

Larry ---sagefisher---