Hey there NJ,
YOU hit the nail on the head as to what I have posted here many times before. I differentiate fly fishing from being a fly fisherman. What follows is NOT a sermon but merely my personal observations and experiences over 50 + years . I fish fly about 3 weeks a year , mostly in "the parks" of NW Wyoming ( duh!) I enjoy the experience no less than any fly fisherman BUT not as often.I fish only moving waters ( if the waters don't move, I DO) . I don't tie flies, build rods, furl or seek fishing destinations. My mouth does not water at the thought of a newest and finest fly rod. I still work half a day (9 to 9) every day so I could certainly afford the best. If I discover fish prefer expensive rods, mine will be in the $5000 range. I don't know any fly shop owner by his/her first name. I don;t need anyone to guide me to the fish because I "think" i know where they are ( sometimes works) I don't seek huge fish but have fooled a few. I fish for trout exclusively if only because they don't live in ugly places.
I believe that being a Fly fisherman requires a much deeper dedication to the pursuit. I have neither the time nor the talent for that. But even then, what little time I do dedicate to fly fishing, I really enjoy.

Mark