Glass is one of my favorite substrates, and several are unreplaceable so that I use them only in tame territories. 2 of these, a 7'4wt and 8'5wt are S Glass and outstanding instruments. They are benchmarks for me for what a fly rod should do. My first really good rod was a SciAng SA4, which was the smallest of an outstanding lineup.

I only have a few dozen glass, but I will echo JC re the Hardy Perfections - they are indeed buttery smooth and my 7'6" has a very sophisticated and complex action.

A few years ago I found a JET Hardy - 8'#4 - at a flea market situation. It didn't cost much at all and was a steal. I'm always on the lookout for old Fenwick Feralites, which are a delight to cast and ffish.

The recent models from Diamondglass and Lamiglas are super. The D'glass are actually a modern action, rather quick. The honey colored Brush Creeks are sweet trouters. Haven't quite made up my mind on their current replacements.

Another steal I found was an old Fisher 3wt which is a lot like an original Winston Stalker which I ffish only once in awhile. Also found a Fisher 7'6"5wt which was their more normal action, pretty much like the Winstons of the era.

In a somewhat different realm are the white Shakespeare Wonderrods. They, along with a 7' Silaflex and a Gowdy series Berkeley Parametric are in my -still-to-evaluate-and-understand rack. Maybe I'll try them out with Tricos this summer.

Right now there are custom makers such as MacFarland and the Steffen Bros. which are on my radar. They might have picked up where Russ Peak (which Berkheimer has followed) and the old original Scotts left off.

Hmmm - having a hard time deciding what my fave is - guess it's the one that's in my hand at the time.

... so many rods and waters and trouts - so little time....

tl
les