Thread: Crowdfunding for fly fishing content creators?

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Very interesting Walter.
    Some folks make the videos in order to "make a name for themselves" in a GOOD sense. If they become popular, they can often get bookings at fly fishing clubs and their conventions. Not a lot of money, but a bit like musicians holding concerts. That is done primarily to push sales of their records.
    If the tier gets a big enough reputation through such appearances, YouTube videos, etc., then they might get a lucrative book opportunity.
    Guys like Mike Lawson and Rene Harropp make good money from their books because: 1. They're good and have lots of info to share; and 2. They have become well known. Lawson from his shop and his appearances across the country at fly fishing shows. Harrop from his famed flies and other products as well as his great art.

Even Hans Weilenmann has published a book with another tier. Such books, if purchased, are usually purchased because the potential buyer has heard of, or seen, some of their work and thinks it has value. This would be accomplished by appearances, YouTube type videos, articles published in tying/fishing books. If Hans had not developed a name for himself through his web site, photography, and tying videos, I doubt he would have had a book published.

I recently suggested a business model for a forum like FAOL, given presumed declining advertising revenue when data storage costs are rising might be to have a nominal fee for membership. The idea was not well received here.

But, speaking for myself, if one way of accessing good tying videos was to pay a very nominal fee, I would sure consider it. I own quite a few tying videos by folks like Harrop, bob Jacklin, Gary Borger, etc. I had to pay for them and they weren't particularly cheap, either.

I think a good business model might be to sell uploadable tying videos through a video source similar to Amazon's Kindle except the media would be on video v. Book form. Then, the purchaser would own his copy and could store it on his device or the cloud.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 04-06-2015 at 07:32 AM.