+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dental lead for weighted flies

Cool Dental lead for weighted flies

Anyone here ever use dental lead for adding weight to your flies rather than lead wire?
    I happen to have a ton of the stuff and would gladly send some to other members here for free if they wish.

A dentist friend of mine supplied me with 10 life times worth as a favour for taking him fishing one day and I have way too much to ever use.
    I don't pour my own lead for jigs and so far have been unsuccessful finding anyone close by who does, or I would have used it for that purpose. Until I do, I have lots to offer anyone who may wish to have some.
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

David, I am not sure what dental lead is. Is it sheets or wire or rods? A spool or wire and some lead tape have lasted me a very long time, I guess I don't weigh flies that heavily.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    David, I am not sure what dental lead is. Is it sheets or wire or rods? A spool or wire and some lead tape have lasted me a very long time, I guess I don't weigh flies that heavily.
    Uncle Jesse, they're thin lead sheets from the x-ray films that go into your mouth. Pure lead, and thin. Can be cut with scissors, then wrapped onto the hook.

Chuck

Sent you a PM

Don't mean to be a wet blanket but I would not accept or handle any of the lead that has been used as part of the xray films placed in the mouth of some one else. OSHA (infection control folks) has very specific regulations(Federal) regarding the storage, handling and disposal of lead sheets from inside the xray packets. If you ask your DDS to save you the ones used in your own mouth that is OK and the number is limited. They become contaminated when the packets are opened to develop the film and sometimes saliva gets inside the packets as they are opened. BTW, your Doc could get into some trouble and probably fined for not properly disposing of the "ton of lead" he gave you.

Gerri I have to agree with you on all your points. As I work in Long Term Care Nursing, I'm well versed on infection control standards and methods here in Canada and ensure that anyone handling this stuff do the same. As with any lead, one should always wear disposable gloves when handling it. I don't use a lot of lead to weigh my flies, but if I do, I always wipe it clean with alcohol prior to and after working with it.
    Not sure of the Canadian regulations regarding the doc's disposal methods, as this stuff was given to me many years ago and prior to the big lead bans on hunting and fishing lead. It has always been stored in a tight closed container kept outside in the garage where only small usable amounts are removed when needed. It was originally intended for use in making lead head jigs for conventional fishing, but unfortunately that opportunity never materialized.
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

+ Reply to Thread