Thread: Recent Trip to the Patagonia Region of Chile

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Our guide with one of my rainbows from the Manueles

D
    ays 3 and 4, we camped near a small lake and sight fished for trout in the "flats". The water was 2-3 feet deep and you had to drop a size 14 bead head about 4 ft. in from of the sighted fish (they were nymphing) and then strip like crazy as he went after the fly. Their jumps, completely out of the water, were incredible. I think I landed about 70% of the fish I hooked.

My son and Claudio sight fishing for the Browns

It wasn't just the fishing, but the beauty of the countryside.............

D
    ay 5 it was very cool and quite windy. So, Claudio changed it up and took us to an isolated little stream called "Pink Mountain River" - a stream really. The fish were very plentiful. Hopper/Dropper. If it was a rainbow, it took the little Copper John. If it was a brown, it took the hopper or Beatle on top.

T
    he little stream is tucked away on this rancher's land in the extreme lower right of this photo......below the planted rows of trees going up the mountain side.

The rancher supplied fresh baked bread his wife had made. Claudio cooked the usual lunch. Cooked sausages, beef, local bread, beer and wine, etc.

D
    ay 6 was the day we flew out. Our flight out of Balcameda required that we be at the airport at 4:00. So, after breakfast at Claudio's home, we drove the 20 miles or so to the airport and a stream within sight of the airport . We caught lots of beautiful browns in the 14 inch range on this little stream so close to the airport. Then, it was take off the waders and boots, put it in our bags and travel the 1 mile to the airport.

H
    ere is a prepublication version of a chapter in Gary Borger's book on Casting that he sent Claudio for his review. It mentions Claudio several times.
    Claudio can be reached and his rates can be seen on his website: Cast and Blast Chile. He does hunting trips for wild boar and Stag as well as fishing.

Sorry, I can't seem to get his website correct. His email is: info4castandblast@gmail.com

I believe his current rates for 6 days of fishing; transportation; equipment (boats, tents, etc.); lodging and all meals is approximately $2,800 for 5-6 days each for a party of 2. The big named guide services with 4 star dining, lodge, etc are approximately twice that, i believe.

Claudio speaks great English and is very entertaining. I understand in some other lodges, you may be paired with a guide who is not as fluent in English. Believe me, that is very important!!!

If you would like more information about specifics, please contact me.

byhaugh1@mac.com

Last edited by Byron haugh; 02-12-2015 at 12:54 AM.