+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice Picture (Rainbow Trout)

PALongBow,

Great pictures! I've been looking at the Optio Wp for a while now. You just convinced me. Thanks for posting these pics.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I have the Pentax WPi also. Great camera. Try purchasing on the internet. I got mine for $234 # $15 shipping. No sales tax.In the macro mode, it focuses ti about 1/2 inch too. Great for those mosquito filling the screen shots.

Mark

Great pictures. Is this a PA stream ?

Also, I've never seen trout follow me. I assume this stream has a ton of fish ?

Great pics! Thanks for sharing them.

I posted some macro shots of blue gills recently from the prior generation of that camera (the 5 mp WP version)...it's a lot of fun to be able to stuff the camera under water and have it fully functional.

I've also taken some shots of nymphs clinging to rocks...underwater macro shots with the flash to help boost the available light. Well worth the asking price of that camera!

It fits great in a pocket as well. About the size of an early iPod (maybe a wee bit bigger). I keep mine on a retractable leash in case I fumble it while trying to get a pic of a fish. They're very affordable but not if you drop it in the deep water and can't retrieve it.

Great shots!

Seems to me like you might have discovered a whole new method of fishing here. The "tie a scud pattern to your shoe and stomp around the stream-bed" technique! Kind of makes trout seem a little less clever and mysterious.

Really though, how close were these fish to you? Are they hatchery fish? Underfished? Is food scarce? I've never known trout to be so bold!

[This message has been edited by sm2k (edited 21 June 2006).]

Hey PA..

Should have gave me a shout.. I would have spent a day or two on the water with you...
    Great pictures by the way!!

Now for the reason the fish do this...

Yes 95% of these fish are hatchery raised.. but most are released at about 10-15" in lenght... These fish are very use to people feeding them and when they are released to the lake.. they find their food when people are walking across the rock, kick up scuds and sowbug (plus many more things like midges, leeches,worms.. the list goes on)

On lake Taneycomo you see alot of people doing the San Jaun Shuffle.. you'll see a 30' long mud streak in front of them kick up the bugs and if you ask how the did .. they tell you the had an awsome day..

You can stick your hand in the water move the rock with your hand and pick the fish up with you bare hands (not that every done that :> ) wink)
    Yes at any one time its possible to count 20-30 fish at your feet.. yes I have even trip over them and even have stepped on a few..

Now this is one of the main reason I love to night fish on Taneycomo.. I dont have to see people shuffling there feet all day long.. I have never seen a fish at my feet in the dark.. not sure why..

Leonard

I actually bought the Pentax camera after dunking my Kodak at Taneycomo last year. I managed to dry it out and had it working for a while, but it then quit working after a while.

The Pentax waterproof camera is ideal for flyfishing. It fits nicely due to its size in a vest pocket or pack.

Ron

Night Angler -

Yeah I was told day one that the local fly fisherman frown on people doing the shuffle so I never resorted to it...plus it doesn't seem very sporting. I did try to drop a scud and midge down in front of those fish and they just veered away. I can say one thing those Taneycomo trout in that cold water can really put up one heck of a battle.

Ron

California Bob
    I don't think anyone answered you. Taneycomo is near Branson Missouri in the Southwest part of the State.
    Dano

PALongbow, thanks for the info. It takes nice shots out of the water too.

+ Reply to Thread