TenkaraBum,

Very good suggestion. I did do this at times and noticed I would get a good float. Sometimes it would do well and another times it didn't. I bet it was the difference between the 3.5 and 4.5 line. I eventually greased the line to make a longer cast, but I think it really had to do with not being able to hold the line off the water. Again, I think it has something to do with using a 4.5 line instead of a 3.5 line. At times, I also fished very very slow water (very little current) that may have lead me to greasing the line. Darn, I'll need to go fishing again and try it out.

I do enjoy your web site and found it very informing. I have some additional questions:
  1. What do you think is the lightest line I can get away with using the Tenkara rods I have?
  2. What is the smallest fly that you have used fishing without an indicator? The flies used for the San Juan are #24 and #26. These flies are hard to get down to the fish without some type of weight. Hence, this is why I was using Bead Heads, but I have used small split shot. There is the possibility of using a heavier larger fly and then the smaller fly as a dropper. I’ve also thought of using a Drop Shot type of rig like Kelly Galloup’s rig (http://slideinn.com/blog/2014/02/dro...-dropper-loop/). Just curious if you have solved this problem.
Thanks

Vinny