As a former college biology professor and a professional ecologist with the federal government, I would like to offer a few thoughts.

First, the competition for jobs in field biology is, and always has been really tough. It is not likely to change. This means you will be competing for jobs in a small job market and against many people, some who have advanced degrees.

Second, strongly consider why you want to go into this area. Most people my age, I am 52, wanted to go into biology because we wanted jobs that would keep us outside, wanted to "save the earth", or grew up hunting and fishing and got interested in science through our outdoor activities. Consider that there are other ways to ensure the future of fish and wildlife besides being a biologist. I am not trying to talk you out of anything but as others have suggested, think long term.

If you decide to pursue a career in biology look at a wide selection of schools and programs. There are so many choices these days that didn't exist when I was an undergrad. For example, conservation biology is a big field now and there weren't programs in this when I was an undergrad.

Look for a school that has a strong undergrad research component to its cirriculum. Then, get involved in a research project. It doesn't have to be Nobel Prize type research but more and more it is becoming important to engage in research. This was not the case when I was an undergrad. If possible, find a major professor who will help you publish your undergrad research.

Learn to write! This is the one of the most important skills you can get from your college eductaion . Look for a school and a program that require writing in all classes, not just the standard English classes. Trust me on this one, I hire biologists, engineers, hydrologists, archaeologists, ecologists and a primary skill I look for is the ability to write.

Learn to speak in public. Second only to writing skills is the ability to communicate orally. Sooner or later on any job you may obtain you are going to have to make presentations. Learn to do it early.

Find the most rigorous program you can. Don't settle for an undergrad science degree that does not require at least two years of chemistry, a year of physics, a year of calculus, and statistics courses. If you are not strong in any of these areas, plan to bust your butt to get through them. There are many programs that do not offer a rigorous, challenging and broad based curriculum. Find an undergrad program that prepares you for graduate school, even if you think at this point you won't be going to grad school.

If possible, take courses in political science, sociology, philosophy, public policy, and a variety of liberal arts courses. Put as much time and effort into these classes as you do your biology classes. Why?

Because a great many people who find jobs in biology find themselves dealing with the public on a variety of issues. In fact, many of my friends from college and grad school, me included, are in positions where we deal with the people aspects of field biology as much as we do with the science of biology, ecology, fisheries, etc. This is especially true if you move up the ladder in your career.

Take a variety of biology courses. Most curriculums usually don't let you specialize as an undergrad anyway but don't try. Get a well rounded education in your major, it will serve you well.

Pay attention to the idea of learning concepts not just content. I had way too many undergrad biology majors who could regurgitate every step in photosynthesis but couldn't answer the simple question, "What is the end product of the process." They knew the content but had no clue as to the concept.

Part of your education should be to develop critical thinking skills and know how to apply them. Find a program that stesses this aspect of learning. Many undergrads, and grad students too for that matter, know the content and even the concepts but can't apply them to real life situations. The theories you learn in college need to be applied in the real world, that is what education is all about.

Find someone in the field you are interested in, e.g. fisheries biology, and talk to that person about your interests. They can often give you some great insights and provide info on what today's jobs require. For example, GIS is a huge tool in biology these days, didn't exist when I was an undergrad, so consider the importance of technology in your program.

Finally, be absolutely realistic about the importance of money in the long term. Realize that most jobs in wildlife and fisheries biology are not going to pay large sums of money. At age 18 this may not sound like a big deal but some day you may have a family, etc. and money takes on a new importance. And, as I mentioned previously, many of the good paying jobs will keep you at a desk not in the field.

Find a good school, find a good advisor, work hard and have fun. I have never regretted becoming a biologist but it has been hard work.

I wish you much success in your academic endeavors.