I think that the technical guys fall into two camps. One group is filled with people who are just really interested in fish and the critters that fish like to eat. They know the latin names for every species of bug in the water because they're just really fascinated by it all. These guys are usually really interesting to talk to and a lot can be learned from them. Sure, some of us might think that they go a bit overboard with their gear and technique, but that's what they like, and so be it.

The other group is filled with guys who feel superior because of their knowledge and extreme technique (and often both are exaggerated). Sometimes they work in fly shops, which is why I avoid fly shops like I avoid certain hardware stores. They'll scoff at you for using "substandard" equipment or spending any less than three bucks a fly. These are the people that can make guys like me feel a little uncomfortable. I like fishing in shorts and a tshirt and some old shoes or sandals. Do I got nice tight loops? Hell if I know. And I'm quite happy with my modest selection of cheap, standard patterns. And I catch fish, so mind your own business!

Most people on the river and in the fly shops are pretty decent though. It's important not to judge people negatively just because their gear is worth more than your car and they know more about trout than most biologists and spend more time practicing than a classical pianist. That's just as bad as guys like that judging me for slapping out humpies instead of spending my time trying to precisely match whatever the fish are most likely to be feeding on at some particular time.

[This message has been edited by sm2k (edited 21 June 2006).]