It's a good idea to scout out where you plan to fish at low tide and take note of the structure
Reading the water is just as important in the surf as it is on a trout stream.
You're looking for places where the game fish can trap bait. Sand bars both parallel and perpendicular to the shore, and "bowls" and points or "cusps" on the shore line
White water coming over the bars confuses bait and "long shore" currents and their corresponding rip currents direct the bait to game fish that are holding near structure or actively hunting in the troughs and sloughs.
You want to use flies where you can feel the resistance as they are stripped. You need to be in touch at all times.
Clousers are good, but not on a sinking line. You'll be dragging them through the sand.
I very often use a big flat wing style deciever with a smaller blond for a dropper.

Waves come in "sets" Usually 7. Even if you think that the surf is low, never turn your back 'cuz a bigger wave is coming.
When you go to land a fish, back up and let the surf help push the fish up the beach until you get it above the water line

In the picture, I'm high-stick dead drifting my flies in the long shore current, practically at my feet, just keeping my floating line up out of the breakers
There's often no need to cast out a country mile.
Fish patrol the trough where the waves break right at the shore line, looking for bait stuned in all the turmoil.