It depends on the rocks.

I own 5 pair of wading shoes with everything from true wool felt to cleated synthetic felt to the Five Ten rubber soles now offered on many wading shoes and all get their day on the water. Some places I need cleats, others felt is best and in some creeks the rubber is all I need. It may sound extravagant but I haven?t fallen in over 20 years and I can rotate my shoes so they last longer.

The absolute best grip, (sans cleats) I've ever had is with a TRUE wool felt soled wading shoe. Unfortunately the only brand I'm aware of with true wool felt is Russell and they are expensive and require a lot of TLC to make them last.

Chota STL Plus with removable and REPLACEABLE cleats come second; and my rubber soled Five Ten shoes come last.

BUT, on some creeks the rubber soled shoes excel and I love the fact they dry out quickly but on other creeks I go to they just don?t cut it. In my opinion if the creek is VERY rocky, (or Rocky II as I call it), you are better off with felt. Unfortunately the only way you find out is to try them and that may not be an option. Several companies make shoes with interchangeable soles like Korkers and Orvis but the only rubber sole I have tried and can recommend is the Five Ten sole.

It really depends on how much you want to spend and how you plan to care for them but I would make sure the shoe FITS and is comfortable first, then chose the best fitting shoe with a felt sole. If you go the felt route and the shoe is expensive make sure you can replace the soles because they will wear out over time. If the shoe is inexpensive replacing the whole shoe may be simpler.