+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Panfish Experiments

Default Panfish Experiments

Experiments for panfish since I don't have ready access to trout. Maybe a bass will be interested too. Three streamer variations with blue tinsel bodies and dear hair wings on Mustad C53S #8. I had noticed the fish were hitting similar dark wets if they were deep enough. I had received a similar fly in SOTM but lost it to a tree. One has some red seal dubbing and black hackle.

Three variations in white on vintage Mustad #4 offset hooks. I noticed the bluegill were ignoring yellows and greens but, would hit white. I am going to try these out on some retention pond green sunfish. I'm hoping the larger hooks will keep the little guys off and draw the larger ones.

I will provide updates as the experiment continues. Comments, suggestions welcome. (Yes I did crowd the head on some of them...)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have been playing with gills, crappie & yellow perch the last few days and I have found that the speed of the retrieve is very important. Recommend that when your at it.

Tim

So far not so good. I tied the ostrich and hackle on a larger hook hoping to discourage the little ones. Unfortunately, the green sunfish is very aggressive and has a big mouth. To much hook for the little guys and didn't attract the big ones. Lots of hits. Switched to the streamer patterns and started picking up 5" to 6" but couldn't find the big ones. Last cast of the day drew a strike from something that blew my 5x tippet like a hot knife thorough butter. Maybe I have found where the big ones are hiding.

Here's one of several in the 6" range.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice fish. A bit lighter in color than the ones in my local creek. I usually use an 8 lb tippet when I fish the local creek. It handles the smallmouth an largemouth that take a liking to the fly or popper that I'm fishing. Once in a while I'll catch what must be hybrids, they have the coloring of a pumpkinseed and the large mouth of a greenie. Interesting looking fish.

I've been having good luck with a Purple and Starling soft hackle, tied on a size 12 scud hook. Those catch more than just sunnies, but also LMBs and even a Channel Catfish!

I've been fishing the soft hackle under/behind a size 12 Muddler Minnow. 'Gills, and other sunnies, will hit both flies. The pond where I work has been stocked with BG x GS Hybrids; those get BIG, and are just as aggressive as LMBs in taking a Muddler.

AllenOK thanks. I have tried reverse hackle flies (Tankara) and they work well to. I actually took a nice LMB on a Black Pennell last year. However, my most reliable pond fly has been a Parachute Adams with a white poser fished wet. Go figure...

6286 Birch Valley Dr, San Antonio, TX 78242

I got a chance to go fishing this weekend and did quite well with a Royal Coachman tied reverse hackle on a size 12 scud hook. 1 LMB, 4 panfish and a pecan that ate the fly. Anyone know the limit on a pecan in Texas? I seem to catch many of those.

Perhaps we need a thread on largest tree caught. Any brought a Sequoia to hand?

+ Reply to Thread