I'm not sure why this post is/was so unclear, but my question has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not I should buy the rod, what I should use it for, or even 3 weights. I had decided to purchase the rod long before ever posting this thread, and have the rod "layawayed" until April 4, 2005 at which time I will be picking it up. The rod was simply the impetus for the thought, and hence the question.

My question relates to my (and the dealer's) perceived trend in consumers going to shorter, faster rods. I simply wondered if anyone out there could shed some light on the reason for this. My thought being that one possible reason had to do with the current ability of an average fisherman/woman to attain line speeds with today's faster action rods that may not have been as easily accomplished in yester-year's time without also using a longer rod. It was only a passing idea that I thought might make for an interesting thread/dialogue by those who have some knowledge on the subject, because I certainly don't.

Regardless of my in-ability to articulate this question clearly, thanks to everyone for the previous input. The rod is definately being purchased by me, and I fully intend on seeing how I get along with it on a variety waters.

------------------
The smarter I get the less I know.