I suspect consumer demand, or lack thereof, may have contributed. At the shop I work with people just quit buying mid to high end 2 pc rods. The 4pc rods really started to sell much better after the 9/11 attacks changed the way we travel. Most customers spending on the mid to high end rods had no problem paying the slight up charge for 4 pc rod. They quit buying 3pc rods too.

Also over the last few years as fuel prices rose more anglers here started driving economy cars to local fishing spots instead of their trucks and SUVs. Even on longer range trips to the eastern Sierra many downsized their vehicles. I have a truck and a Toyota Corolla and I started using the car more. A 9ft 2pc rod does not fit into the trunk well. Living in an urban area where there is a segment of the population that likes to go shopping in other people's vehicles, both near by and in the local mountains, many do not like leave their gear or even rod cases in plain view in the vehicle. Rods with 4 or more sections are preferred by many because they fit in a trunk or storage bin.

Today we sell about 10 4pc rods for every 2pc rod even at the budget levels. There is actually more interest in 1 pc rods by many anglers who have boats.