Thread: Cost of tippet material

Threaded View

"I see like this: $400. To $1000.for a Rod, $200. Up for a reel, $80. For a good line,$400. Up for waders and boots .Plus all the other crap we carry around while fishing. Why try to skimp on the direct link between you and a fish of a lifetime.trying to save a buck. For me save on the other end not on this end."

I understand your point and agree with it, but, not all fly fishermen spend that kind of money for their fishing gear. I know I do not. I try to purchase what works for me and save as much as possible. The fly reel I use the most cost less than $100, the fly rod is around $240, my fly line is $60 and my waders are $250 and my wading boots are $60. I tie all my own flies and make my own furled leaders.

I catch my fair share of fish and have a good time doing it. I am not trying to "skimp" or save a buck. I just enjoy the challenge of finding something that works for me and saves me money on both ends. Now a days, the cost of any item does not dictate the quality of that item. I feel it pays to do a little searching to find the same quality or very close to it and spend less for it. The more I save by not buying the "top of the line", the more I have to spend on something else like propery taxes, gas, food, electric bill, water bill, etc.

I am retired on a limited income and I always do a lot of research before spending any money. I know a 4 wheel drive vehicle will get me to and from the rivers but so does my KIA Soul and do it at 33MPG.

If I should hook up with "the fish of a lifetime" and land it, all I am going to do is take a picture of it and turn it lose and that is only if I have my camera with me. The thrill of hooking and fighting it is all I was after anyway. If I lose it due to my equipment, I still had the thrill of the fight without the picture and still remember it for my lifetime.

None of the above is meant to raise anyone's hackles, but, just how I feel about my gear and my time on the water using it. I fish for the enjoyment of being out there on the water and enjoying the surroundings and the peace and quiet and no amount of money can purchase that. I do not have to land every fish I hook to have enjoyed the experience. If any part of my fly fishing gear fails me due to the quality of it, I will then upgrade it. If it failed me due to how I used it, then the quality was good and the failure was with me.

So, purchase what you can afford and what works for you and gives you enjoyment and do not try to have what the marketing hype tells you to use. After all, they are trying to make money for themselves and you are trying to enjoy the surroundings and the experience and each one has a different price tag.

Just my thoughts and I am sorry for the long post......now we need to leave this real world and enter the fly fishing world which provides more peace....Merry Christmas all......

PS - I know that my post has nothing to do with the original question and I apologize for that. I will now go to my corner and leave you all alone.
    Last edited by WarrenP; 12-12-2013 at 04:18 PM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.