My personal thoughts on this is I feel that regular tippet material is much more limber and was developed more for the dry fly or very small midge type fly fishing and being very limp, it will not hinder the dry fly or midge. For my style of fly fishing which is more sub-surface, I prefer not to use regular tippet due to it's limpness. I feel it does not allow the "strike" signal to travel up the line to my rod hand. I usually purchase a mono line, made by Leland Lures which also manufacture the Trout Magnet, in 4 pound test and 6 pound test. It is called S.O.S. It is a very light green in color and seems very strong for it's very small diameter and I feel it is very hard for the fish to see under water. They only make it in 2, 4 and 6 pound test and it comes on a 350 yard spool and cost around $5.00. They also sell it in larger spools in the thousands of yards spools which I do not know the cost of at this time. I transfer it from the 350 yard spools to smaller spools and always have 4 and 6 pound test with me and I have had good success with it even when using dry flies. I have made furled leaders from their 2 pound test and it works well.

Your mileage may differ from mine, but, it has worked good for me.