I joined the club back in the late '80's. I woke up one morning with my heart doing its best imitation of the rhythm section in a Cuban band.

It is scary at first, but not as scary as you may now think. Chances are they will find a combination of medicines that keeps it at bay most days. In recent years, I've only had it happen if I forgot my meds or did an unusual amount of exercise at 8,000 feet or higher. The latter would increase my blood pressure and heart rate and that would kick it off. Life's normal stress has not triggered an event for me, even in some very stressful situations.

The docs have been able to convert my pulse back to normal most times just using meds. I've had the "shock therapy" twice with good results and no negative side effects.

It is better not to be in this club, but you can probably take your current anxiety down several notches. Hope this message helps.

PS: You may not want to share your condition with your fly fishing buddies. I did, and then noticed that my invitations for shared fly fishing outings dropped a ton. I think the prospect of having to drag my body back to the road may have put them off, even though they really did not need to worry.