Thread: Bicycling & flyfishing.

Threaded View

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I told you wrong. I got my Crossroads confused with my Giant Rincon MTB. The Giant is a 1994. The Crossroads is a 1998. See what happens when you get older?

I probably have over 2000 miles on the Crossroads. It's my main ride. The Schwinn probably has around 2500 miles on it (I have had it longer). The Giant, around 1000, and the Cannondale also around 1000. I've just started keeping logs on Map My Ride.com, but so far, over the last 8 months, I average 75 miles per week riding time. When I started riding full-time, I weighed 355 pounds. Now I weigh 240 and still dropping.

I didn't mean to slam the straight top-tube models. It's just that the curved top tube has such a cool retro look that it's a shame they discontinued it. That wine color was really beautiful, almost like the old Schwinn color they called "Apple-Crate". I am sure your bike is still stunning enough to turn some heads, even after all these years. I'd bet money that the old girl has still got it going on....

Sorry to get off topic. I'm kind of a nut on collecting and restoring classic bicycles. That's why one of my nicknames is Schwinnhund. I collect classic Schwinns. Anyway, if anyone has been following this thread, you should be getting the idea by now that if you have a bike, and live within 20-25 miles of where you want to fish, you already have a perfect outdoor assault vehicle. You should use it.

If you are thinking of getting a bike, go for a good used one. They need love and a good home, and are very faithful and loyal companions. Avoid the Walmart bikes and opt for a good name-brand bike (pre 1998 Schwinns and Mongooses are OK. After that, the names were bought by Pacific Bicycles, the makers of Chinese Huffys. The new ones are basically just cheap Huffys with Schwinn and Mongoose decals.That's why they are now sold in WalMarts instead of good bike shops. It's sad, really. They used to be great bikes....). You can get an outstanding used bike for as little as $75.00 that will need very little work. A little oil and a tweak here and there, and you now have a $500.00 bike, raring to go. Slap on some bags, and even though some will scoff, I highly recommend fenders, both front and back. If you ride much at all, you'll soon see why.... I am not real fond of pebbles, bits of glass and other debris, small pieces of roadkill, and cold muddy water being thrown directly into my crotch, and up the middle of my back. They invented fenders for a good reason......

One thing about going fishing via a bicycle is that the trip becomes a complete adventure. Instead of a mindless ride to the destination, the trip itself becomes a wonderful part of the experience. Instead of whizzing by everything, you become a part of it. To me, fly fishing, paddling and bicycles all go hand-in-hand. They are all eco-friendly, wholesome, and soul-nurturing.

I also like the idea that I can go those distances without having to depend on gas, or anything other than myself. It's just way too cool.....

Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Now that's interesting - because mine has a straight top-tube. But it really is a pretty color, more like the candy apple red from way back when.

Mine is a low mileage model. My other bike is a '96 Trek 1200 road bike. It's a higher mileage one from when I lived in Vegas and could ride year round on decent pavement.

John
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 05-30-2013 at 02:09 AM.