Thread: Playing Tag ...

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Doug -

Like I said, it depends on your priorities.

My point in being out somewhere with a fly rod breaks down like this - outdoors, on my feet, active, in a place I really like to spend time. And I enjoy casting a fly rod, and hunting fish and finding them, and seeing them rise to a dry fly and try to eat it.

"Playing" fish and landing them is no longer a priority - hasn't been for some time. I just celebrated my tenth anniversary fly fishing a couple days ago. After something like 1300 days fly fishing averaging somewhere around 20-25 fish landed per outing, the point for me is to enjoy my time outdoors and the hunt, and not pester the fishies so much. The pointless flies, when fished, will suffice for the challenge of an occasional fish in hand, maybe ....

This is a personal preference just now, and may or may not last. And it is obviously not something everyone will want to try, especially those who really enjoy playing and landing fish. That's cool, and the way it should be. On the other hand, maybe some folks will try it and find that it enhances their fly angling experience in a way that they never thought to try or imagined it would ???

John

To each their own... although I'm not sure your still fishing, technically .... since fishing is the act of "trying to catch" a fish.
    Hmmmm... interesting debate topic, since your just trying to fool the fish, not that I want to go there. Anyway, whatever you call it, tag or fishing sounds like your having fun... but it's not for me.
    Last edited by dr korn; 05-27-2013 at 10:41 AM.
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/