+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hotspotting ...

Hybrid View

I generally name a stream, but not the location unless its to reference a well-known, nearby easy access point.

Blog Entries

I've never used that term, but I grit my teeth whenever any of my favorite spots show up in other posts. And it doesn't have to be a "turn at this sign and drive X miles and pull over by the big tree". For instance, most of the photos of trout you post from the Lochsa have enough background in them that I can tell what pool you are standing in, and in some cases, what rock. Not a big deal since I am 900 miles away, but there are places on that river I gave up fishing because everyone said "go to this hole and fish", and there is ALWAYS someone in that spot. Then again, I can't see the attraction of standing in the same spot all day, or day after day, and recatching the same fish, either.

I learned long ago the best way to have a river become crowded was to advertise how good the fishing was, and to tell people where and how to fish it, so I don't do that any more. I take pics of fish, yes, and say I was in a particular river, but I try real hard to not have any identifiers in the photo (although I have had people ID a spot from a single rock in the water), and I don't get detailed about how I caught em. Most of the time. If someone wants to know, they can always ask, but I am under no obligation to give up hard-earned info to people not willing to put forth their own efforts.

I guess I am pretty easy going on this. Coming to Denver? Fish the South Platte in Cheesman Canyon or downstream a bit around Deckers. Or hit the Colorado between Hot Sulfur Springs and Kremmling.

But I have some small mountain streams that I only share with out of state visitors. They can't take the pressure the big rivers can take.

I thought this was going to be a thread about tying a bright spot into a fly!!!??

Blog Entries

Bob, That was an interesting observation by John, regarding the possibility that people tend to be more open to releasing fishing data the farther west you go as compared to the farther east you go. I hadn't thought of it in that way and naturally there will be tons of exemptions to that statement, but.......... There are around 3.3 times the people who live 'east' of the west as compared to those living in the west. Depending upon where you draw the line and leaving out the dead center of the country, there are around 62.7 million people living out west. Compare that to 207.7 million back east. BIG difference. Then if you factored in, which I did not, the number of square miles of the 'east' as compared to the 'west' I am sure the population per square mile would have an even bigger X factor. So, if you live in a very high level population area with very limited fly fishing waters as compared to those of us who live out west, much lower levels of population and much greater number of square miles per person, that may tend to make the crowded side a little more reluctant to give out information. Just a guess on my part however. No real facts to back that up. Larry ---sagefisher---

old Chinese proverb, those who know don't say and those who say don't know....as we say here in the EAST
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

This has been an interesting posting. We are all entitled to our own opinions.
    Let us all be careful as to what we post. It looks as if this just might get out of hand.
    PLEASE Gang, lighten up. I do not want to shut it down and or hand out warnings.
    If the shoe fits, so be it.
    Lets just go fishin.

Denny

My point after jumping into all this mess, was you cannot tell anyone anything like you could in the old days, with a simple nod everything was accepted to be kept on the down low. There is a whole new generaton of fishers out there ,in my opinion would would fish in your grave if it held a pod of fish. One case in point that stands out , I have had a "friend' of mine , while I was with a client, and we wre casting to rising fish, doing very well. this "friend" recognizes me, enters on the opposite bank and nymphs the same pod we are c&ring from. I bit my tounge hard enough to make it bleed . stuff like this is why I walked away from the indie and only go where few are willing to put forth the effort to get to. There are simply too many people vying for the same fish here in the east as it was put earlier, and as I age I am more and more un willing to exchange info on where I have been. I show trusted old friends who I have formed concrete relationships with over the years and that's about it. Fly patterns I give away freely but that is another long winded story,i want people to catch fish , just not over my shoulder.
    Last edited by flybugpa; 05-26-2013 at 12:20 PM.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

+ Reply to Thread