+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spoon Flies

Default Spoon Flies

Many of your purists might scoff at my request, but I'm wondering if any of you know a good place to get those fancy spoon flies that supposedly work so well in the salt water.

I've found them at a few local fly shops, but the cheapest I've seen them has been 6.50 each. Seems like a lot of money on a fly that is going to get chewed up toothy fish.

Also, if anyone knows how to tie them, that would be helpful too. Then I could probably make a bunch of them.

Thanks.
    -Ray

I'm not a saltwater angler but I have seen them advertised by The Fly Shop in Redding CA. They're probably a bit pricey anywhere you go.
    Look in the fly archive, I thought I saw a recipe there.

Get some false fingernails from the dollar store
    Bend a hook to fit into the curve of the nail
    Tie in a tail and some thread or chennille or something to hold the glue.
    Epoxy the nail onto the hook.
    Paint lovely colors
    Catch a fish

-------------

"Well, you see Norm, it's like this .. a herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the lowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attack the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers"

Cliff to Norm

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 25 May 2006).]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

The gold Dupre spoon fly is a real killer for redfish. Buy as many as you can afford because if you run out you'll wish you had more. I would recommend the smooth gold version, usually tied with red thread down the spine. Others make them but the "Dupre" flies seem to work the best, he did invent, or at least popularize the fly after all. You can make your own with foil and epoxy but I've found that it's tough to duplicate the nice wobbling action which is key without a lot of experimentation. Fish it with a short, heavy, stiff, leader where possible to make casting easier and also to cut down on leader twists which would occur otherwise. Also, you'll want to tie it on with a loose loop knot to allow for better action. Of course I only cast dry-flies, upstream, to rising trout, with cane, while wearing tweed... I'm just guessing about the rest!

Good luck,
    Bill O.

------------------
    [url=http://www.oysterbamboo.com:3d85b]www.oysterbamboo.com[/url:3d85b]

[This message has been edited by oyster (edited 25 May 2006).]

Dudley.....Please repeat after me...."Well you see Norm, its like this........." I really think Cliff is a fly fisherman...how else could he droll on such profound knowledge about things that are uppermost in the minds of most fly fishermen? I know from experience, after a day of getting skunked, I have always blamed my misfortune on the lack of brain cells and of course Cliff has hit the nail on the head....that is why I will be bringing Anglers Ale and Two heearted Ale to the Michigan Fish In. Makes sense to me...........at least I will have an excuse. What's your excuse?

[This message has been edited by Jonezee (edited 25 May 2006).]

[url=http://www.flyfishlouisiana.com/Spoon_fly_1.htm:73be8]www.flyfishlouisiana.com/Spoon_fly_1.htm[/url:73be8]
    Here ya are.

------------------
    "Wishn I wuz Fishn"

[This message has been edited by crook33 (edited 25 May 2006).]
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

A word of caution. You might want to test the fly in some water first after tying before fishing it to make sure its balanced (swims) right.

I think I saw someplace where they can also be tied using prismatic tape. Teardrop shape, notched in front and at the rear to tie down with thread at both ends. Epoxy the whole thing as usual.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

+ Reply to Thread