+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cabela's

I spent some time in the fly shop in Springfield's BP and the guy manning it totally ignored me and never said a word.
    Well, it is the "quiet sport"...

When I read that line it put me to thinking about when I just want to browse around a little, have all kinds of sales people pestering me; and when I get serious about some item then I have to hunt someone down!

There are differences, but they are more similar than different.

I think people who have worked retail for a while, get to where they can tell the difference in people who are looking for something and people who are just looking. Both stores are going to do what makes them money. I have been ignored at both Cabelas and Bass Pro, and at better stores than either.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zaxaca View Post
    BassPro (in Nashville) used to have a shop called White River Fly Shop (or some such). They blew that up (maybe as a result of the flood) but still have limited flyfishing stuff in the same general area. It's a fraction of what it used to be and nothing in comparison to Cabelas.
    It is still there and in the same place. What happened is they took out a part of the wall that contained it and brought in some other types of fishing gear after the moved the fly fishing apparel to other parts of the store. In that regard it is less convenient, but their selection is still about the same as before. They have pushed a couple of racks of fly rods out into the main area of the store. It just isn't as cozy and contained as it used to be. The flies and fly-tying stuff are in the same place although there have been changes in what is carried. The rack space is exactly the same. The tools are the about the same and mostly in the same places, although there has been some migration in that regard. The inside wall to the right is gone. I grant you that some of that space has gone to spin fishing gear, but most of the area now occupied by other fishing gear is where the waders were and those have moved to the diagonally opposite corner of the store with the other footwear. Again, that is not convenient to fly anglers but seemed to make sense to the management. I suppose we frightened the duck hunters?

The Cabela?s I went to in Michigan was not that much better for fly fishing except in the selection of vises. Apparently both chains tailor their stores to perceived demand and thus stores are different. Cabela?s reps have told me that they tend to concentrate more on hunting than fishing. I have patronized both chains fairly heavily and agree, although Cabela?s does seem to give a greater percentage of their fishing department to fly fishing.

The really sad thing to me is Cumberland Transit moving its fly fishing area to ?purgatory? in the loft, to use an optimistic term. It seems the new partner felt a need to stamp around and mark territory. And of course, such actions usually leave an unpleasant smell.

Including Bass Pro, we have 4 fly shops in Nashville if Game Fair Ltd. kept theirs. I miss the Fly Chucker, but things change and we miss the things we liked when they change or go away. Anyone who fishes the Harpeth River drainage for a number of years should be thoroughly used to that concept.

Regards,
    Ed

as another Pa guy, I happen to think the White River Fly Shop in the Harrisburg BPS is "better" than the fly fishing section in the Hamburg Cabela's. They seem to have a wider selection of stuff IMO. Everyone who works in the WR Fly Shop in Harrisburg is a fly fisherman and fly tyer. Bobby Clouser is the manager, so there is a ton of local knowledge and everyone is friendly.

As for the rest of it, I agree with the other posts... The Hamburg Cabela's outshines the BPS in the gear fishing category, if that is possible. It is HUGE. Cabela's quality seems above BPS quality on average. I have A LOT of Cabela's branded gear, from waders to camping gear to rods, you name it. I have never been disappointed with anything Cabela's put their name on. I've had some el-cheapo quality stuff from BPS. YMMV.

I've been to the Springfield BPS several years ago and it was also incredibly huge.
    Last edited by jszymczyk; 04-09-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Neither appeal to me. I tried to order a drilling from a Cabela's and it took two days and an e-mail to headquarters to get a response. When it arrived the frame was cracked between the two bite slots and what the sales person called "just a tiny bit loose, maybe .001 to .002" was a full, measured .018. I saw the crack in the frame immediately and they couldn't? ....no, I'm not impressed with them. I've tried to call or e-mail other stores to talk to them and maybe look at drillings or combo guns and can't get a reply. I no longer try.

The closest Bass Pro to me is their HQ in Springfield. Great place just to visit but I won't go back to buy....can't get waited on when it is evident you need some advice/assistance.

I can't say how it is to be in eithers employ....nor do I believe I wish to know.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

PA Dave pretty much nailed my preference for the big C over B.P.S.

Of the honkin' big outdoor retailers that I can shop in person, this is how I rate them based on my expenditures.
    ( I have outdoor interests beyond fly fishing )

Cabela's, REI, Scheel's ( Takes "Best of show" every time. ), Sportsmen's Warehouse, Orvis, Sports Authority, Big 5, Sierra Trading Post ( aka: Leftovers R' Us. ) and B.P.S. still can run in the maiden races.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave E; 04-09-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Having grown up in Springfield, MO and gone to school with Johnny Morris, I may be a bit biased, but I like Bass Pro better. It is primarily a fishing store. A fly fishing friend of mine who works at Cabela's calls it "a hunting store that occasionally thinks about fishing." My local Cabela's has a small fly fishing area (maybe 500 sq ft in a huge store). The fly tying area is continuously out of stock on key items. On the plus side, they welcome fly tying demos and open their meeting area to our local club for fly tying classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I think people who have worked retail for a while, get to where they can tell the difference in people who are looking for something and people who are just looking.
    I worked retail for 20 years or so, and I can tell you that while retail sellers often think they can tell the difference, they're just as often wrong. Me, I'm an impulse buyer; may not be looking for anything in particular, but if I see something I want, I'll buy it. Also, I'll often pick up a few things just because I'm in the mood to buy something. In any case, a simple "How ya doin'; anything I can help you with?" is pretty much required in my opinion. If I say no, just leave me alone. And if I don't get at least a greeting I'd have to REALLY want something to buy anything from a person who won't put out any more effort than that.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

+ Reply to Thread