+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Report back on using Eel Skin in a Fly

Hybrid View

Per Silver's links:
    So I could fish a hair bug of some sort, but not a zonker...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    Per Silver's links:
    ...or a piece of rabbit leather for a mouse tail...

They may not have gotten the best person to write the regs...

But AK is goofy too... they have a problem with beads used to tie flies unless the bead is ON the shaft of the hook. Many flies use beads attached on various outriggers or the articulation line on large flies...

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    Per Silver's links:
    In Idaho "fiber" may (?) be considered as hair/fur. "Hair" is OK Wisconsin. But is hair/fur on a strip OK? Probably since they don't give citations for zonkers.

It is hard to cover all the possible permutations.

In Wisconsin, regulation changes are complicated by the Conservations Congress, which is an advisory group of sportspersons. There is an annual spring meeting in every county to ask for an advisoty vote on the proposed changes.

Here is the 71 page document for this years fishing regulation proposed changes. Fortunately we get a summary to vote on. There are also proposed hunting regulations changes that also need to be voted on.

http://dnr.wi.gov/about/wcc/Document...3/FH-18-12.pdf
    Last edited by Silver Creek; 04-08-2013 at 09:48 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

The Idaho regulation included feathers but not hair or skin. So to strictly obey the regulation, no deer, calf, moose or elk material on the flies to be used in the fly fishing only areas in Idaho. I understand the attempt to limit the use of baits. However, the writings of the regulations are far from beeing decent....
    The definition of artificial fly form the 2012-15 Fishing Seasons and Rules of Idaho

"Artificial Fly:Any fly made entirely of rubber, wood, metal,glass, feather, fiber or plastic by the method known as fly tying."
    Last edited by malevo; 04-08-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: editing typos
    "And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world" Satchmo

A few observations both Theoretical and Realistic:
    1) 'T' - The eel-skin is not "attached to a hook to attract fish". It is part of the make-up of the overall fly. If "attract fish" is going to be the criteria, then any fly, or lure for that matter, would be prohibited.
    2) 'T' - As stated by others, if a piece of skin is not permitted, then zonkers, mice with tails and similar flies would be prohibited.
    3) 'R' - Is anyone really going to inspect a fly for its components?
    4) 'R' - Other then the fly tyer, who will know that the fly has an 'illegal' component.

Many states need to improve the knowledge of the people writing many of these regulations and the daffynitions they use.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I don't see why and eel skin would be any different from a Zonker strip. Also, Swiss Straw is organic. Under those criteria, any fly with Swiss Straw would be illegal. And what about dubbing? Fur? Fibers are individual filaments, so fur and dubbing would not qualify. Fibers would be like micro-fibbets, or boar bristles.

What a dumb law. I would write my elected officials and get them to change it.

I have to admit that the NYS fishing regulations include 2 decent 'definitions' insofar as they relate to the initial topic of this thread or at least the part about 'eelskin':

1)Natural bait means all baits which entice or might be ingested or swallowed by fish including, but not limited to, fish (dead or alive), fish eggs, worms, shellfish, crustacea, amphibians (salamanders, frogs and toads), insects (including all stages of development such as larvae, pupae, etc.), pork rinds, liver, meat, corn or other vegetable matter, tapioca, candy, cheese, bread and putty or dough-like scented baits.

2)Artificial fly means a hook with no more than two points dressed with feathers, hair, thread, tinsel or any similar material to which no additional hooks, spinners, spoons or similar devices have been added.

I believe when a reasonable person, i.e. state game official, applies these 2 definitions to a fly (as we think of one) tyed with an eelskin shellback, although perhaps personally distasteful (no pun intended), he/she will conclude that that fly is perfectly legal.

I will give my next meager paycheck to any Fish Cop who could positively identify EEL SKIN as a component material of a fly if/when a fly is examined with no foreknowledge of what said Fish Cop is looking at.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

+ Reply to Thread