+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Price of Vises

Just to point out that the falsity of 'amortizing' over a finite number of years also has its B.S. factor. Back when, it was a generally accepted fact that the least expensive car was a Rolls Royce. The reasons for that fact were because the car was: all parts were guaranteed to last the lifetime of the buyer; it was possibly the safest car on the road; the value of the car didn't depreciate. In fact it stayed the same or even increased. Problem was the buyer had to shell out (at the time) $75k or more to buy the car. Well, instead I settled on a new 1972 Toyota Corolla for $1,800. Obviously, the Rolls was a better investment.

Blog Entries

Exactly Herefishy!!!

Let's face it guys. We are all in the craft of tying flies because we want to produce a product that we will use or maybe just admire. Once you are satisfied with the information you get about the quality of a vise you are considering you start to evaluate the extra features. It's just like buying a car. The ultimate scenario is when you buy the really deluxe model just for the sake of owning it even if you rarely use it.
    I'm not wealthy enough to do this with vises but I do have some premium materials that I have no intenion of using. I just take them out on occassion to pet and admire.

You can catch trout on a $2 cane pole. You can also catch them on a $1000 cane pole. Different poles for different folks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    Let's face it guys. We are all in the craft of tying flies because we want to produce a product that we will use or maybe just admire. Once you are satisfied with the information you get about the quality of a vise you are considering you start to evaluate the extra features. It's just like buying a car. The ultimate scenario is when you buy the really deluxe model just for the sake of owning it even if you rarely use it.
    I'm not wealthy enough to do this with vises but I do have some premium materials that I have no intenion of using. I just take them out on occassion to pet and admire.

Great point Ray!!
    Some folks get extra enjoyment fishing with a beautifully hand crafted Thomas and Thomas cane rod.
    Myself, I prefer graphite. But, I can appreciate where they are coming from.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Great point Ray!!
    Some folks get extra enjoyment fishing with a beautifully hand crafted Thomas and Thomas cane rod.
    Myself, I prefer graphite. But, I can appreciate where they are coming from.
    Uhhh... My 10' 4wt T&T is graphite.... Where were you going with that?

Blog Entries

Great Hap. I was trying to make the point that many get great satisfaction fishing with high quality hand crafted bamboo rods (of any brand). If it adds to their enjoyment, that's great. And, I can appreciate what they mean even if I don't quite share their appreciation myself. I use a more efficient, faster and more plain (and cheaper) Zenith rod.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 03-23-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Just tugging a little chain...

I do have some premium materials that I have no intenion of using. I just take them out on occassion to pet and admire.

I think there's a pill for that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    Just tugging a little chain...
    Thanks Hap, next time please tell me, so I don't have to try to re-explain.........laughing..........

+ Reply to Thread