Corks...

If you really want to use corks:

Get yourself a fine hoby saw. Dremel makes one, almost any hobby shop or craft store will have one. Some even come with a small miter box. Use this to cut the cork for length if you have to do so, and to cut a slot for the hook in the bottom. Often you can buy corks in the sizes you want at any hardware store. Wine bottle corks are fine for larger baits.

A dremel is helpful in shaping. I used a sanding drum to shape the cork, angle the face, etc. Just take your time.

Use a good two part epoxy to attach the hook the to the cork and to fill the slot. A piece of clear tape applied over the slot after you fill it with glue will keep the finish sanding to a minimum.

Use fine sandpaper to smooth the cork before applying a base coat of paint. I like 400-600 grit for this.

Lacquers were the industry standard for painting cork bodies for generations, but the acrylics you can get anywhere will work. Use white for the base coat. Apply at least two thin coats to seal the cork. The cork will absorb water and not float if you don't seal it well. Paint with whatever color you wish. Always be sure to allow the paint to dry completely between coats.

Add your choice of tailing, and you are ready to fish.

As far as inexpensive hooks, the kink shank popper hooks made by Mustad were create specifically for this use and hard to beat. I think the Q # is 33903. You can find them online. Size 6 is good for 'gill flies, look at size 2 to 1/0 for bass. You can get smaller and larger ones if you need them.

All that being said, cork is a pain to work with and to get too look good without putting on so much paint they sink.

Foam is easier, and cheaper unless you have lots of wine corks.

One 'kneeling' pad or pair of white foam beach sandals will make hundreds of bodies. You can buy a set of punches from Harbor Freight for around $10 that will punch out bodies for you in sizes up to 1/2 inch. You can 'punch' them out with a mallet, or put the punch in a drill press and 'cut' them.

There is lots of informaion about making foam poppers here. It can be as simple as cutting a slit in the bottom of the foam cylinder, gluing it onto a hook, adding a tail and going fishing, to carefully turning foam bodies on a home made lathe and carefully painting/finishing them. How far you get into it is up to you.

Good Luck!

Buddy