+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: It takes a lot of nerve and a whole bunch of stupidity...

NewTyer 1 Guest

Amen Jerry. I am going to try and get a box out for you on Monday but it might end up being more towards the end of the week. Brittany is getting stronger everyday but, is still in the hospital as she is not very ambulatory still even with the walker. She did manage the stairs during one of her therapy sessions. Hopefully your Cronies will decide to go to church or out to breakfast before they decide to come over. I am assuming they did not steal your computer which is odd. Do you think whoever did this to you, knew your schedule and knew you were going to be gone most of the day? I don't know, there just seems to be something funny about the whole thing almost like an inside job. Anyway, can you give us an idea of what you tie and the materials used so we can gather some up and get it to you. You said you have a vise, is that correct? And how about vises for the children that come over to tie? Do you need vises for them. I have some extras and I'm sure we could come up with a lot of A-type vises so each kid could have one.

Scott,

The last update that I received from my retired law-enforcement/now fishing buddies was that they're following leads to a downstate bunch that's making/dealing drugs, one of whom used to live nearby. That would explain the break-ins on the river during the winter, as his history here would have given some insight into who uses their places in the colder weather months, and who doesn't.

The guys following up this stuff can work "off the books" and call in favors all over the country because of their connections. In their way, they're trying to shield me from any additional worries or burdens, as they share a concern about my health.

The vises for the kids were all at "Doc's" for a special get-together, which had to be delayed. As for my own tying? I do more dries than anything else-- Adams, Wulffs, etc, the occasional nymphs and a few dries. Hackle may prove to be the biggest need, followed by dubbing and tools.

As for my computer? I guess they didn't want to haul the old desktop, as it's a beast. Instead, they took a new laptop that I hadn't even put into service yet!

Hope the above helps in some way, shape or form. I'm still trying to re-adjust the ol' eyes after a day of sizing, sorting and counting hooks. Just be glad that you don't live closer, my friend...

Great news about Brittany. As always, our love, thoughts and prayers go out to her...

Later, my friend... Jerry, aka hairwing530, aka "Captain Hooks"

Well, as expected, a few of the "cronies/cleaner-uppers" already have called this morning to advise of their intent to "report for duty," despite my request for them to enjoy a day of rest. We've got another winter storm advisory posted, and two of the guys want to double-check the windows replaced and stack some additional firewood while the rest help Debbi and Jesse finish up inside the house. I've been ordered back to my office-- again --as the worry about my "health" continues. Despite my reassurances-- I'm fine, by the way --my family and the "cronies" are utilizing the "gang-mentality" on me.

And, about missing church this morning? A group of the crew decided to take advantage of the local Catholic church and its Saturday night Mass.

At any rate, I received an e-mail this morning about more direction on hackle colors. From top to bottom in order of amount of usage, it would be griz, cream, Coachman brown, medium gray dun and ginger. I'm all set on hooks, as most of you know, and thread doesn't look to be an issue, unless I start my usual "binge tying" again. It happens when one loses his/her sight for 5 years and then is given it back by a miracle surgery. Besides, I DO enjoy wrapping a hook, especially with our youngest daughter, Jesse, or "my kids" from the tying classes!

The options on the rods, reels and the like remain open-ended, and all in the 3 to 6-wt. class.

One last note... Betty, you may be right about the burn bin pile of hackle. After collecting the necessary samples for DNA, we've tried just about every avenue available to us. And still, the smell persists. Even the taxidermist feels that they well may be a lost cause, which breaks my heart. These went back to the days of Henry Hoffman, and it will go against my grain to put lighter fluid and a match to them. But, the smell is just horrible. So, they may have to go...

The assault on the remaining pile of hooks takes place a little later this morning. I'm trying to stay as busy as I can, as when I'm given time to think about this violation of hearth and home-- and yes, the stuff --my blood pressure starts to rise...

Take good care, my friends, and have a good Sunday... Jerry, aka hairwing530, aka "Captain Hooks"
    Last edited by hairwing530; 01-27-2013 at 06:33 AM.

NewTyer 1 Guest

Jerry,

I am in the works on having a 8'6" 4pc. 5wt rod built for you. It will be quite a few weeks before it is done but, as he has a back log. but, it should be ready by Spring. I am also, seeing if he will inscribe it to you from FAOL so, you will always remember. I will continue to look through my tying materials as I have some pulled all ready and will hopefully have it out once the wife gets paid. Keep your head up and we will continue to help in any way we can. Give my best to Debbi and Jesse and heed the word of your cronies and stay in your office where you can do the most good.

God Bless, my friend

Default Missive From The Sidelines...

With the arrival of the "cronies crew" and their backing, Debbi and Jesse are ratcheting up the orders of confinement to my office. It's tough to sit on the sidelines, so to speak, but even being benched, they keep bringing me small stuff to do. I can't seem to convince anybody that I'm fine... just a little tired. That's all...

Even without an inscription, that rod being built on my behalf will always be held special. In essence, you all will fish with me everytime I feel the gravel of the AuSable River-- and its sandier areas --on my wading boots. You'll share in my bad casts, my missed fish, and my occasional "trout with a sense of humor." The fish would have to be "slightly off" not to notice the line slapping lightly onto the surface, or even be fooled into thinking that the presentation of a fly that imitates something... Fortunately for me, the AuSable River trout DO have their own brand of humor.

Watch the "For Sale" area later today, as "Captain McFlys" may be making everyone an offer he's hoping they-- you --can't refuse. Stay tuned...

And, again, thank you all for taking me and "my girls" into your extended family...

Jerry, aka hairwing530, aka "Captain Hooks & Co."
    Last edited by hairwing530; 01-28-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Jerry - this is Bob down near St Joseph - we met last June when I came by one afternoon to pick up a St Croix 8' 6" 5wt rod... that would be the same afternoon we chased that lost dog around - recall all this?

I am terribly saddened by your recent episode, thrilled with your remission and simply astounded at your persevering attitude!

It was a real privilege to meet you and hear first hand about your trek.

Now I would like to return that rod to you when the weather clears and I have a chance to come up and see you - would that be OK by you?

Bob

Bob,

You're welcome here anytime. And, unless that St. Croix has tied into at least 150 trout for you, then its job and time with you isn't finished yet. It still has work to do while in your care. Just release one in my name and we'll call it good. Deal?

As for the weather? I'm wondering if it will EVER straighten out, here or anywhere else. Once it breaks, however, I'll look forward to your visit...

Be well, and start prepping now for THE Season! It will be here before you know it... Jerry, aka hairwing530, aka "Captains Hooks & McFlys" (See my latest post in the "For Sale" area)

Jerry before you give up on the hackle, do you have a shed ( not too airtight) where you could hang them on a line out of reach of the critters for a few weeks. You might want to leave the door open in nice weather and let that smell dissipate a bit. Time and fresh air can do wonders. Just putting them on the clothesline would be better but I doubt that there would be much left after a few weeks out in the weather.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Okay, I admit I just read "some" posts...because after all, 5 pages I couldn't read it all, so if I missed something forgive me. But...I know from previous post...

#1- "hairwing" you are the one dealing with cancer if I remember correct?

#2- I see some SOB's stole your fly gear?

#3 - that is BS and pisses me off. I see someone asked about a rod for ya, but maybe had a prob getting it? (if not then my mistake). But if there is an issue, I'd be willing to help, just let me know.

Steve

NewTyer 1 Guest

I had a rod kit I asked to have someone build and send to Jerry and Ron is going to take care of that. Yes someone broke into Jerry's house and pretty much wiped him clean as well as destryed his house. Jerry's cancer is now in remission. I am also trying to find someone willing to come up with a rod tube to hold an 8'6" 4pc 5wt. Can you help out with that Steve?

+ Reply to Thread