+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Boa Yarn

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    It is just about impossible to find, unfortunately. I bought some on eBay that turned out to be a bit of a darker yellow ("goldenrod") than what I was hoping. The best yellow boa yarn I've used is a nice bright yellow that is made by Mei Mei. Rick Z had sent me a skein of it several years ago. In the same sharing spirit he exhibited, I in turn have gifted quite a bit of it to others.

My "lifetime supply" may not actually last me that long, but I can still share.

There are a number of manufacturers that sell boa yarn...it surprises me the lack of availability of many of the colors we are interested in. In addition to the yellow, other colors of it that are worth using include black, white, various shades of gray/silver, and orange. Brown, purple, ...I've seen a lime/chartreuse color that my neighbors used in some crafts, but I haven't seen it sold anywhere. Strange, right?
    So Dave , are you saying you want those colors?

Ducksterman,
    I have all those colors (and a few more), except the bright lime/chartreuse color. I have a "key lime" color, which is sort of close....but it isn't nearly bright enough, compared to the chartreuse, and doesn't light up under a UV light at all. I've tried the key lime anyway, but the yellow has worked better....so far.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    Wouldn't white boa yarn and a supply of Sharpies cover a multitude of colors?

Ed
    OR, what about white yarn and some clothing dye or household items that you can experiment with until you get a color you like?

Turmeric (an indian spice) makes a very pretty yellow color (though it's definitely NOT chartreuse)

Karli-Rae
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Considering the possibilities of garments that could be produced from chartreuse boa yarn, the EPA probably banned the production of that product beyond a small batch from which your neighbor obtained theirs.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Considering the possibilities of garments that could be produced from chartreuse boa yarn, the EPA probably banned the production of that product beyond a small batch from which your neighbor obtained theirs.
    Probably!
    My neighbors made some cool bunny rabbit stuffed animals out of it. They may have bought the boa yarn already attached to a fabric backing...rather than sewing the yarn to it themselves? Whatever they did....I liked the color!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    How could the government which allowed leisure suits and double-knit polyester disco-wear ban boa yarn?

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    How could the government which allowed leisure suits and double-knit polyester disco-wear ban boa yarn? Ed
    There were a lot of folks smoking funny cigarette and experimenting with chemistry back in those days. If they didn't get elected to office most moved to Colorado and Washington state.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I have looked at CCT Craft fur online.
    It looks something like boa yarn.
    Might check in a fly shop to see what it looks like.

Rick

Couldn't you buy a skein of the white if you don't already have some and dye as much as you want with ritt dye?
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    Couldn't you buy a skein of the white if you don't already have some and dye as much as you want with ritt dye?
    The short answer is...yes.
    Since I haven't dyed materials before, I looked into it a little bit, to see if it was possible to create a truly bright "chartreuse"...one that would glow under UV light. Turns out you CAN get a chartreuse...but I've no way of knowing about the "glow" part without trying it. Has anyone here died materials chartreuse with RIT dyes?
    Sorry if this hijacks the thread...
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread